Tbi to vortec. Cant find answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So ive searched and cant seem to find exactly what im looking for. Does anyone have a link to a build thread or how-to thread for 95 tbi out. 97-99 vortec in? My tbi is getting old and tired and pretty sure compression is falling. Just looking at swapping a 350 vortec but need a parts list or how to for wiring or plug and play harnesses. Or would a 5.3 ls be an easier swap? I dont necessarily need alot of power just want something for a nice daily with 13+ mpg.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
There is no plug and play for putting a 96-99 vortec in your truck. The least expensive option is to either rebuild or replace the engine in yours if compression is getting low. ( check all cylinders dry and wet first )

Anything can be done, but there are always trade offs.

Can you be without a vehicle for weeks / months on end?

Budget?

Expected life expectancy of the truck?

Absolutely easiest would be to install a replacement TBI engine, if you purchase a long block, swap a few parts over and manifolds and install it yourself if you have or can borrow / rent a cherry picker.

If you start on a Saturday morning, even with hand tools, remove the hood and swap engines, you should be able to have it fired up and running by supper time, given that you have all of the parts available and do not have to run to a parts store.

Yes, you could install a complete powertrain package from a newer truck, it will get better mileage, much better power with little effort. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
In my opinion the 5.3 ls swap is the easiest. we've done the TBI do 96-98 Vortec swap and its an absolute nightmare... 1.) there is little to no information on how to do it 2.) its impractical due to the work to benefit ratio. and 3.) the 96-98 Vortec engines were good for their time. but if i had to do it all over again id just buy my cousins 2002 Sierra that he wrecked and use it as a donor for the LS swap. its a hell of a lot cheaper and there is insane amounts of power to be had from one... lol

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look around www.gearhead-efi.com

I'm not 100% sure when the change happened, but I believe the PCM changed drastically after '95 with the introduction of the Vortec engines. It may be easier and cheaper to swap in the Vortec, and use a TBI to Vortec intake. Then with some mods and PCM tuning, get it running really well on the TBI injection. Keeping the same PCM means less headache with the transmission also (assuming you're running an automatic).

Last edited:

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my opinion the 5.3 ls swap is the easiest. we've done the TBI do 96-98 Vortec swap and its an absolute nightmare... 1.) there is little to no information on how to do it 2.) its impractical due to the work to benefit ratio. and 3.) the 96-98 Vortec engines were good for their time. but if i had to do it all over again id just buy my cousins 2002 Sierra that he wrecked and use it as a donor for the LS swap. its a hell of a lot cheaper and there is insane amounts of power to be had from one... lol

Correct me if im wrong but there are plug n play harnesses for the 5.3 swap? And do i use the ecm from the LS or mine? Ive read a few LS swap builds but dont quite remember them. I know its mounts, flywheel to use my tranny, and the wiring...correct?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong but there are plug n play harnesses for the 5.3 swap? And do i use the ecm from the LS or mine? Ive read a few LS swap builds but dont quite remember them. I know its mounts, flywheel to use my tranny, and the wiring...correct?

You will need the LS ECM and wiring harness. Also, what transmission are you using? You never specified if it was auto or manual. If it's manual, should be pretty simple. If it's auto, your transmission could be incompatible with the LS wiring harness.

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need the LS ECM and wiring harness. Also, what transmission are you using? You never specified if it was auto or manual. If it's manual, should be pretty simple. If it's auto, your transmission could be incompatible with the LS wiring harness.

Oh sorry i have auto 4l60E. 4wd floor shifter transfer case. Its a 95 k1500

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out this thread for some interchange info on the 4L60E : http://www.gmt400.com/threads/anyon...0e-transmission-interchange-guide-info.13007/

'95 was an odd ball year for it because there was a PWM solenoid added for the torque converter. After that, the connector and solenoids changed.

An LS swap would be awesome, but you will probably need to find a transmission to work with the newer PCM too. Leaving the current PCM and converting the Vortec long block to run TBI injection will remove any compatibility problems. No special motor mounts, the current 4L60E will work as it does now, etc. With a little tuning, it will run still better than your current 350.

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out this thread for some interchange info on the 4L60E : http://www.gmt400.com/threads/anyon...0e-transmission-interchange-guide-info.13007/

'95 was an odd ball year for it because there was a PWM solenoid added for the torque converter. After that, the connector and solenoids changed.

An LS swap would be awesome, but you will probably need to find a transmission to work with the newer PCM too. Leaving the current PCM and converting the Vortec long block to run TBI injection will remove any compatibility problems. No special motor mounts, the current 4L60E will work as it does now, etc. With a little tuning, it will run still better than your current 350.

So say i found a decent 5.3 complete with tranny. Would that tranny work with my transfer case of would i need a transfer case from the NBS as well? So essentially all NBS drivetrain aside from axles. Will all this hook up to my interior wiring and such?

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So say i found a decent 5.3 complete with tranny. Would that tranny work with my transfer case of would i need a transfer case from the NBS as well? So essentially all NBS drivetrain aside from axles. Will all this hook up to my interior wiring and such?

As long as the spline count on the transmission output and transfer case input match up, it should work. Most LS motor mounts have some adjustment in them to move the motor back or forward so you could use that to maintain the same transmission position and not need different drive shafts either. Essentially, you would only be changing the engine and transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk