Tbi to Carburetor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go with a Holley 4150 carb. Im doing the swap soon in my 89. TBI is not horrible but with the performance mods I doing, it wont work. Im going with big port, big valve aluminum heads, high lift longer duration cam, full length headers, etc. I prefer port injection on a fuel injected engine. Chevy went real cheap and went with a slightly better choice over a stock carb. Should have used port injection from the beginning. They had it on their 3.8 V6 cars and other vehicles. Ford and Mopar had it.
I wouldnt worry too much about drivability with a carb. I have always had good luck setting up my Holleys to where I wouldnt have to constantly mess with it to run. Most of mine had no chokes, never had a problem starting even in cold Iowa winters. Granted, it wasnt as nice as a fuel injection start up, but pump the gas twice and start it up, let it run a couple minutes and it was ready to go.
With a carb, you only have 2 reasons for a no start/run condition-no spark or no fuel. 2 very easy things to diagnose along side a road with minimal tools.
I prefer carbs on a car but hate carbs on a motorcycle, lol.

TBI can and will run that just fine. A 454 TBI unit has no problem supporting 500 HP.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was hot and bothered to get the Holley Sniper setup on my SS454, that is until I got the estimate for the switch , OUCH, for everything needed plus install it was right at $2500. Gonna get the TBI straightened out now, LOL :D
Bobby V

Leknaw

Reaction score
Good morning all! I did the swap from TBI to Carb on my 1990 Sierra, and I'm loving it. I have a 1998 Vortec 350 engine, and an Edelbrock 1406. Simple carb, simple set-up. Installed a fuel pressure regulator, the HEI distributor, 14" K & N air filter and the engine bay looks good and the truck flies... Everyone has different taste and different ideas, we make choices base on what we like and belief... FI is more adavance technology and more efficient, carburetors are old school but are also efficient for their purpose...