TBI or carbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they started the electronic Trans I 93 but some 92s may have them.
and yes I did forget to mention the fuel. I did the machanical fuel pump on mine. Very easy.
just routed the fuel line across the cross member and then along the passenger frame rail.
as for the pick up. I just removed the pump and used a brass union added a pice of pipe and put a fuel sock.

Jables

Reaction score
Figured out my problem with the truck dying when I turn the wheel at a standstill... WRONG F**KING SPARK PLUGS!!!! Somewhere in the truck's past, someone put in the wrong spark plugs, I'm assuming they were too cold and didn't sit far enough into the cylinder... Just swapped them out for NGK plats, correct part number this time, and no dying, idles closer to 800 rpm now (was at about 500), and have better throttle response.

FML

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone put a Tuned Port Injection in their set up? I was curious about those. Currently I was thinking about the Holley Sniper EFI. Since it's my daily driver I don't need to squeeze every HP number out of it that I could do with a carb. I want it to operate well in the mountains and down below sea level. Currently I am set up with a TBI and have no real issues but think it's just a middle ground between a Carb and newer drop in EFI units.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard of dudes putting the TPI set up from F bodies and Corvettes in their trucks. Has the reputation of being the best truck motor GM never put in a truck.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to be a carb guy, but now that Ive dragged myself into the 21st century, I'll never go back (Well, at least until North Korea detonates an EMP). Something you might check-besides the spark plugs-is your fuel pressure (a common problem). Could be the fuel pump (usually), the fuel filter, or the spring in the TBI unit. You should be running about 12lbs.

TBI can support upwards of 400 HP and its stupid easy to work with. Its basically a carb that has computer controlled jets and enrichment circuits. Im running Vortec heads and a 4 barrel manifold under mine and it runs great. Im also running EBL flash, so I can program my computer with a laptop, so that helps. But Im also in the process of building a LT1 for it, and I just bought the $400 4 barrel manifold for that-just to run TBI on. Well, that and a decent distributor. TBI can take you pretty much as far as you would want to go on the street with a DD, so, if I were you, I would keep the TBI and save your money for headers, cam, and electric fans (and of course the EBL).

If youre looking for torque, then you might want to look into running the TPI. It was designed for torque and wont hardly run past 5500RPM so its perfect for a truck. If you get the EBL (because you will need to tune it) be sure and tell them youre running TPI and they will install the correct drivers to run the extra 6 injectors. Oh, and get rid of the TBI heads and go with the Vortecs. The TPI base manifold is a bit expensive, but the over all package is well worth it.

Last edited:

Jables

Reaction score
Thanks guys, fuel filter and distributor are next. Just gotta find time to go get replacements and swap them. Looking at the distributor itself, it just might be the original one from factory... If so, kinda awesome that it has 176k on it and still mostly working lol

Also, thanks for the heads up on the heads and TBI system, dodndi know it was that capable.

Once she's running right, I'll probably go ahead and start with headers and exhaust, then throttle body mods. Save anything internal or large parts for last.