TBI fuel line questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The previous owner of my truck cobbed together the fuel lines on my truck so now they go from metal to rubber to metal back to rubber several times. I've already had to replace and retighten hose clamps numerous times to stop leaks and other issues. I was fed up with it and found a good deal on some pre bent lines so I ordered them but now i'm a little confused. The lines I received are for the supply and return lines and they are hard metal lines but they are fairly short. They also supplied me with two rubber flex hoses with threaded ends on both sides and I'm not sure exactly where these hook up. My question is how exactly are the stock oem fuel lines ran?

Does it go from the metal hard lines on the sending unit to rubber flex lines back to hard lines all the way up to the tbi unit? Or is there another section of rubber flex hose in the mix before you reach the tbi unit? I just want to get truck buttoned up before winter and this is one of the last "projects" I'm tackling and I just want to make sure I've got all the parts I need.

Thanks guys

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
There are more rubber hoses right about the fire wall. So the lines are metal from the tbi to the firewall then to rubber for about a foot then back to hard lines. Then you have a small section of rubber at the gas tank.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks that clears up some of my confusion. Do the fuel lines clamp to anything as they go from the firewall to the driver's side frame rail or do they just kinda hang there?

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
There is a bracket that attaches to the frame that holds the fuel lines in that location. I can take pics this afternoon if you like. My truck is down to the frame and the fuel lines are still attached.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would appreciate that very much, it will definitely help me get these lines back to stock shape.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
The pics are not great. I had to use my step sons cheap camera. My wife took off with the good one. Yes I know the time stamp is wrong.

Here you can see where the bracket attaches to the frame and the metal line off to the right of the rubber line goes to the TBI.

You must be registered for see images attach

To the left of the rubber lines, the hard lines go all the way back to the fuel tank.
There is a short section of rubber hose between the tank and the lines on the frame as seen here.

You must be registered for see images attach

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics,

Man my lines are all jacked up after looking at these pics. I noticed today that the jackasses that worked on my truck before I had it cut the fuel lines inches before they connect to the throttle body and then ran rubber hose all the way down the firewall to the bracket in that picture. They also left the line they cut in there :scum:

Is it worth me even trying to fix this mess?

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
You could go to a junk yard and get the fuel lines off another truck. I'm not sure if you have a single or extended cab. The pics above are from an extended cab. I would definitely replace the jacked lines with either new ones or used from a junk yard.

Also both ends of the rubber lines are crimped. So if the stock rubber lines were cut then you would have to replace the whole section or splice it together which would be areas for possible leaks.

edit: just notice you have a rclb.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah I bought a set of pre bent lines that came with some flex hoses but the flex hoses connect the sending unit hard lines to the hard lines that run along the frame rail. From that bracket that routes the lines up around the transmission up the firewall and to the tbi unit is what I'd have to repair that I'm not quite sure how to fab up.