Tbi 350 stutters/no power when low Rpms.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grayson94

Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out.

My 94 k1500 with a tbi 350 has been acting up recently. When at idle the engine stutters and the Rpms drop. It hasn't actually cut off yet but its been a nuisance in traffic and such. I normally hit the gas every once in a while while idling to revive it. Also when i'm cruisng down the road around 50 while in overdrive if I go to accelerate a bit I have almost no power to accelerate until I bump it up to about 2500+ Rpms, I imagine it drops out of overdrive at this point.

I recently replaced the Egr valve because it had been idling terrible and had no power at all when you hit the gas. The new Egr valve fixed that problem. I can't remember if I've had the problem since then or not. I read online that there are two Egr valves, one for sub 8500 lb and one for above 8500 lb, could the wrong one be causing the problem? How do I tell them apart to see which I have? I read online about a gentleman who had the +8500 lb one when he needed the sub 8500 lb and it caused similar problems.

Any thoughts?

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Fuel pump.
Airtex is a great choice for Tbi.

You dont have two EGR valves.

Grayson94

Reaction score
Fuel pump.
Airtex is a great choice for Tbi.

You dont have two EGR valves.

I know I know i don't have two Egr valves on the engine, I meant there are two versions availible. Heres an example.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Any more support for fuel pump?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coming from both the auto parts counter selling fuel pumps and now being the head mechanic/manager at a shop I will let you in on a secret about airtex pumps...... THEY SUCK..... I had and seam more failures with them then any other.... I will not even use them in my shop.. I've even told the new shop owners we will NOT be putting in airtex pumps...

If you do go with a pump do yourself a favor and get a delphi. Get it for a vortec motor though like a 96 or so.. you will never have to worry but pressure again and the regulator on the tbi takes care of the overage...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your check engine light on? Have you checked the codes yet....

When was your last tune up done? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Chisum72

Reaction score
I agree that airtex suck! Look into your ignition control module. Sounds like it's headed south.

Grayson94

Reaction score
Is your check engine light on? Have you checked the codes yet....

When was your last tune up done? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Hey thanks for stopping by!
I just checked the codes and only had a bunch of repeating 12s. So all good. I replaced the fuel filter last November when I had to replace the transmission.

Is this what I would need to replace the fuel pump? http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Fuel-Pump-Electric-In-Tank-Type-Actual-MFG-OEM/_/R-DFPFE0114_0406935271

Edit: I let my truck idle in park for awhile and it didnt have any problems. It seems to only do it while in gear and my foot on the brake for an extended amound of time. The no power at low rpms while going down the highway still troubles me, I feel like it is causing me to get horrible Mpg's because I have to mash the gas to accelerate.

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes that part number looks familiar. I put one in both of my 94's. Don't forget to get the strainer as well..

All 12's is Good and bad...lol.. means no codes but no help identifying the issue..

sent from what use to be a great country...

88Scottsdale

Reaction score
Just checking to see if you ever fixed this issue or found out what the problem was. I am having a similar issue.

jrjohn77

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue on my 95. So, far we have replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor, cap and rotor, spark plug and wires. The MAP sensor was throwing a code so I replaced it. I'm still having the problem.