Tapping on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this sound? Only when cold. Pretty loud though.

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Off hand it sounds like lifter tap. Culprits could include stuck lifter or loose rocker.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So readjust the rocker arms first?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a lifter or 2 but to me that's a bit loud for just lifter noise. Could be a bent push rod too. What oil weight do you use? Last time it was changed? How many miles on the motor. How's the oil pressure?

Just for the hell of it..
Do a cold compression test(in the morning or sometime when you have not driven it for a few hours at the least) and a hot engine compression test(up to operating temp). Then compare the 2.

Sounds more like piston slap to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a lifter or 2 but to me that's a bit loud for just lifter noise. Could be a bent push rod too. What oil weight do you use? Last time it was changed? How many miles on the motor. How's the oil pressure?

Just for the hell of it..
Do a cold compression test(in the morning or sometime when you have not driven it for a few hours at the least) and a hot engine compression test(up to operating temp). Then compare the 2.

Sounds more like piston slap to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I run 5 30 Mobil 1, 40k on rebuild. Changed about 2k ago. And it has great oil pressure. 45-50 cold, 30ish warm.