Tail light problems! Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graham Cole

Reaction score
Hey guys! So my 96 chev k1500 just got back from paint and now it's wanting to fight with me. I'm getting no rear lights whatsoever, but my third brake lights work, does anyone know what the issue could be? Everything worked fine before it left here for paint and now that it's back its not working. The box was off the truck if that helps anyone, thanks guys!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd start checking grounds and pinched wires

sent from my glade air freshner
Yes or it could be a simple as a disconnected plug. Trace the wires back and you should find the problem. I would start at the tail lights, and work my way back to the cab.

Graham Cole

Reaction score
As far as I can tell there's nothing unplugged, but where do the grounds go on these for the rear? Where would I look for a bad ground connection?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The easy way to figure this out would be with a test light. Find where you have power, and where it stops. As for the ground, The frame is a grate ground, so you could always jump a wire off from the frame for a new ground source.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
If I'm not mistakes the wiring that comes from the front runs down the inside driver side frame rail. I've had problems with the area right above the axle

sent from my glade air freshner

Graham Cole

Reaction score
Okay so from what I could get around here before my fingers got cold, my plugs are corroded up and now after further investigation, the hazards work and the turn signals work but they hyper flash, would it be the circuit boards inside my taillight showing bad just from sitting?