Tachometer only works intermittent and speedometer is inaccurate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe7709

Reaction score
98 z71 Tachometer can go months without working and then will work for a few days. Speedometer always works but is roughly 8mph off at highway speeds and 4 mph off on city speeds. Everything is stock as well. Any suggestions

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tire size change will make the speedo off. Sounds like an intermittent connection problem with the tach.

Joe7709

Reaction score
Where is the connection? I pulled the cluster and put it back in so it should be connected to that port well. Tire size is stock

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may help

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there’s a few different places to access tach wire, but since your tachometer is the issue here, the wire going to your tachometer would be where I’d start. Go to YouTube, got to be a ton of videos.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 98 the wire is either a white or white with a black tracer where it plugs into the back of the IP. With an analog multimeter set on 12V DC you should see the needle twitching with the engine cranking or running.