Swapping in the 6.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Subbed, this is a very interesting thread, and if this build goes as planned, it will be a great read.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
The transfer cases behind the 5-speed trucks were all the NP241 - and were a 32 spline count.
The NV4500 from the GM trucks should directly bolt to the NP241. NV4500 and NV3500 total length (4wd 4500, 4wd 3500 ofcourse) were within 1/2" - 1", and i believe the mounting bolts were in line with the crossmember.
Should mate to it no problem - Are the nv4500 bellhousings the same between 6.5 TD and the 5.7/5.0L? Only thing i'm not sure of.

stepside90

Reaction score
Hell yes.Good to hear. And im pretty sure the bellhousings are the same? Ive never looked into it but i thought they were. .thought the only thing that had to be possibly changed was something on the mainshaft. Well this is good, so far this gets me from the motor back to the driveshaft.Which im probably going to have to beef up as well when i put the 14bolt semi-floater in. Any recommendations for gearing for 35in or bigger tires? most likely 37s when im done. Its going to be a daily driver when im not riding my Harley.probably 4.56s

stepside90

Reaction score
Well just as an update for the thread I think I might have found a nv4500..still in a truck! Diesel already too.A '94 GMC 3500HD. So Ill have a donor truck for a bunch of the guts ill need to do the swap right! Gonna try and get the guy to come down on the price tho. And its still too warm here in the Okanagan but I will be starting to tear down the 6.5 in Sept i think(fingers crossed for a good block!) And the 6in suspension lift should hopefully be at the end of Sept as well with the 35s to start! Still havent found a 14bolt sf tho.arg lol Did one interesting thing a bit ago tho, moved my entire fuel tank location to where the spare tire would normally be so I have true duals right of the exhaust manifolds! Wish I had a nice cam to make it sound even better! Will get some pics up soon as I can.

stepside90

Reaction score
Alright, finally have an update for this thread! I have the 6.5 torn down and ready to start the rebuild..but the major good thing thats happened is tgat ive found a 91 chevy 2500 light-duty with a 6.2 diesel that i can use for the donor truck for all the parts i need(mechanical injection pumpsome other engine parts,ecm,dash cluster, 14boot sf) quite excited.picking the truck up for $400! And i kbow ive made a few posts about things ive done with no pictures to prove it but thats due to all ky pictures being on my phone and cant figure out how to get them to photobucket and upload them on here! Grr

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 95 K1500 6.5 NA, I love it. Sick Gas mileage and still has tons of pulling power.

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm getting a 96 Tahoe in a few weeks that currently has a newish crate motor that the current owner is thinking of pulling to keep as a spare. I'm starting to research a 6.5 swap in case it comes without a motor (it's coming free either way :) )