Suspension lift questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edahall

Reaction score
I've got a 1996 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with a 4" Rancho Suspension lift and 3" body lift. It's also got a Cummins 6BT engine up front which adds about 500 lbs of weight up front over stock. The tires are 35".

The handling is miserable and ponderous. The steering reacts very slowly to steering inputs and vehicle leans a lot around corners. The ride is softer than a Cadillac which I happen to like. You hardly feel the speed bumps. I believe it has stock torsion bars cranked up all the way. The sway bars are probably stock. What can be done to improve the handling? The 35" tires mud tires are definitely going to go in favor of a set of 285/75/16 load range E tires. Will this help?

I would also like to lower the vehicle. The 3" body lift is definitely going to go. I'm still debating whether or not to remove the suspension lift. How much can I lower the vehicle by cranking the torsion bars all the way down?

Does a suspension lift strengthen the front end on these vehicles. If I removed the suspension lift, am I going to run into problems later on due to the extra weight of the engine?

Rancho advertised this lift as being 4" but when I measure it, it's 6". Why is there a disparity?

You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
First of all, awesome rig!
Second, do you have a steering stabilizer?
And I don't think completely uncranking the TB's will have a good end result....

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure you've got to have a little bit of a lift to clear the larger oil pan

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure you've got to have a little bit of a lift to clear the larger oil pan

If I'm not mistaken the oil pan of the large 6bt needs to clear. And I'm not sure if removing the bl will allow the top to clear. The difference in height is probably due to the lift being cranked all of the way out too.

Edahall

Reaction score
<<First of all, awesome rig!

Thanks!

<<Second, do you have a steering stabilizer?

It's doesn't have a steering stabilizer.

<<I'm sure you've got to have a little bit of a lift to clear the larger oil pan

There's enough clearance to remove the lift and clear the pan

<<If I'm not mistaken the oil pan of the large 6bt needs to clear. And I'm not sure if removing the bl will allow the top to clear. The difference in height is probably due to the lift being cranked all of the way out too.

The oil pan will clear without the suspension lift. There is also enough clearance without the body lift.

I measured the components on the suspension lift and measured 6", not 4".

Last edited:

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
I have no experience with 6bt swaps, but i do recall reading that a bodylift is almost mandatory when doing the swap. I know you said you measured, but thats just what i remeber reading

sent from my Galaxy S4 Yo!

Edahall

Reaction score
<<I have no experience with 6bt swaps, but i do recall reading that a bodylift is almost mandatory when doing the swap. I know you said you measured, but thats just what i remeber reading

According to this link, it makes life easier but not required. In my case, I might end up having to use a cowl hood because of the turbo crossover but that's no biggie. I think the main reason some say it's required is because of the A/C compressor location. Mine is mounted down below out of the way so that's not an issue.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?15670-1996-Suburban-Cummins-Swap!

Last edited:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Any steering components worn out? Maybe flush the ps pump and add a stabilizer to help with the slop? Larger sway bar?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I would check all the frontend components, some maybe worn even may be slop in the gearbox or steering shaft. Drop the body lift (if it'll clear without it) and decrank a little for the 285's you'll be fine! the width of the 35s are probably alot of what your feeling