Surging throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellbound

Reaction score
Hey,

First..98 K1500 swb with 305 and 4L60E, 35" tires. When cruisin at about 80kmh with rpms between 2200 and 2600 every now and then the throttle will surge by 1 or 2 hundred (3rd gear). When on the hwy at about 100kmh in the same rpm range (OD) the same thing will happen periodically. Jut started happening a couple of days ago out of the blue. Once I get above that rpm range the surging stops.

Any ideas or where to start?

Thanks

Mike

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It sounds like your torque convertor is kicking on and off. Next time you feel it happening maintain the cruise speed, with your left foot, apply just enough brake pressure to turn the brake lights on. If the surge goes away, that's whats happening. You can try adding friction additive to try to help it. It takes about a 100 miles for it to really kick in. But you might have a solenoid or the convertor is starting to fail.

Hellbound

Reaction score
It sounds like your torque convertor is kicking on and off. Next time you feel it happening maintain the cruise speed, with your left foot, apply just enough brake pressure to turn the brake lights on. If the surge goes away, that's whats happening. You can try adding friction additive to try to help it. It takes about a 100 miles for it to really kick in. But you might have a solenoid or the convertor is starting to fail.

I did your test and it behaved as you predicted. I will add some lucas tranny additive. Any idea where to go from here with a fix?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Other than trying a friction modifier, basically take it to a repritable transmission repair shop.