Sub Wiring Two DVC 2ohm with 4ohm Stable Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I've messed with audio. I searched around a bit and think I may have brain farted when I ordered my 2 new 12's to replace my blown ones. I have a Fosgate 501s 2 channel amp that I believe is stable to 4ohms when bridged. I bought 2 12" subs with DVC and 2ohm impedance. Is there a way I can wire this to get a 4ohm total? I'm thinking I screwed this up. What should I do now?

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw that, but don't I get a lot less power since the amp isn't bridged? Is running my amp at 2ohms a huge deal?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from what i see its 250 per side on 2 ch where bridged its 500 to one sub and you can run it at 2ohms not bridged I dont know what it would be at if you wired it in series to be mono

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am I guaranteed to mess up my amp if I wire it bridged at 2ohm when its 4ohm stable?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm not sure on that,try looking on one of the car audio forums for info on that amp also fosgates site should have info

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i found the manual for your amp on fosgates site it states not recommended to run under 4 ohms when bridged and not to go under 2ohms stereo if it were me i would wire it like the diagram above and see how it sounds you may be surprised

4ofakind

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This pic wires each coil in your sub in series. As you can see doing this doubles the impedence. So one 2ohm DVC sub now acts as a 4ohm SVC. Take the middle neg wire from sub one and run it to the middle pos wire of sub two and you have essentially bridged your amp with a 4ohm load.

Mal

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. Just to clarify, in the above drawing, I would remove the green jumpers and then run a single jumper wire from the middle negative of the first sub to the middle positive of the second and leave the middle positive of the first sub and middle negative of the second with no wires attached? Would I leave the connections at the amp the same as in the drawing?

4ofakind

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. Just to clarify, in the above drawing, I would remove the green jumpers and then run a single jumper wire from the middle negative of the first sub to the middle positive of the second and leave the middle positive of the first sub and middle negative of the second with no wires attached? Would I leave the connections at the amp the same as in the drawing?

Nooo! (I knew I did not explain it right after I read my own post.)
Simply follow me around the wires in the pic:
1. Red wire from amp to pos of first voice coil on sub one.
2. Green wire from neg of first voice coil to pos of second voice coil on sub one.
3. In essence run another green wire from neg of second voice coil of sub one to pos of first voice coil of sub two.
4. Green wire from neg of first voice coil to pos of second voice coil on sub two.
5. Black wire from neg of second voice coil of sub two to amp.

You must be registered for see images attach

So just remove the black wire from sub one in the pic and the red wire from sub two and run a third green wire in their place from the neg to pos on the subs. Using the legend it should be: RED, GREEN, GREEN, GREEN, BLACK

Clear as mud? :uhoh2:

Mal