Stuck in Park, No brake lights....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom M

Reaction score
Hello all...New to the site..It is great!....

'98 GMC K1500, 5.7. Experienced during hot weather not able to shift out of park. Other trouble: A/C compressor not working, blower only works on high. cruise intermittent, dash lights for radio buttons/CD out.
Replaced brake light switch, BTSI solenoid, brake relay in relay center, ignition switch, multi switch assembly. Tumbler w/ new keys coded by dealer and ran relearn procedure. All fuses checked good in relay center and I/P fuse block.

Research tells me that the orange wire should be hot at all times to brake switch....No power to this pin at all in connector. White wire shows hot. Key in off position. (Continuity test light) Traced orange to splice before brake switch, looks good.
After ignition switch replacement, with engine running, selector would move out of Park, but no brake lights or third brake light. Now it will not move out of Park again.
All lights, turn signals and interior lights work....no brake lights.
Going to start short testing w/ circuit breaker short finder and test light, but w/ no fuses blown not sure where to start other than orange wire from fuse relay and I/P block. Will check red boot on positive lead at battery for good connection at outset.

Of course the dash is disassembled, Do all of the components need to be plugged in (head light switch, 4WD selector, ignition switch, etc.) to start looking for short?

Hopefully someone has tackled this issue before and can save me a little time, expense..and the white bass will be running soon.
Thanks,
Tom

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Hmmm. Have you unhooked the linkage at the trans and attempted to manually shift through the ranges? Safety of course, don't run yourself over.

Tom M

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150..: Negative, what would that indicate?....I am tho able to shift out of Park with the key in the On position,..not the Run w/ engine on.....I am currently going to hook all switches, wiring etc. back up to begin over.....Are you talking about the booted linkage that appears to have wiring connections right before the Nuetral Safety switch?

Tom M

Reaction score
Thanks for responding....what would be a good time to check for your response, I received no email notification.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I could shift Pigpen, with no PNP switch or brake switch in it, at all, from underneath.

Tom M

Reaction score
Jr and all,....Update to my issue; It was the battery not fully charged as to the no start issue. As to the original question, I hope I have resolved it. After opening and confirming the stop lamp switch contacts were all in the right position by comparing it to the original, I installed it. I noticed a small piece of metal from the original clip around the collar on the stub from the brake pedal. I dug it out of the machined recess on the stub, installed the switch and installed the retainer clip I got from Advanced Auto parts. It will not work without the clip installed, holding it on the stub of the brake pedal. !! It now makes the clicking sound referred to in the many sources I researched. I have not heard that in the 14 yrs I have driven it. Shifts out of park in the run position, all brake lights work....Thanks!! Now on to LED install cabwide, blower issue, A/C, plowing, steering issue when in 4WD, rocker cover gasket.....some trim, new headlights, dents, upholstery fixes and this truck will be ready for show!!!