Stuck in 3rd - 4L60E '95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck seemed to be shifting fine when I drove it home the other day. But this morning, on the way to work, it seems to be stuck in 3rd gear.

Also when I first jumped in it the speedo, tacho and gear indicator weren't functioning. After a few miles the instrument cluster started working again but was still stuck in 3rd gear.

Any ideas?

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, went out for another drive and it started working properly again. So guessing dodgy connection somewhere on the 12v solenoid supply meaning the transmission is going into limp mode.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fact that the speedometer failed when you had the problem leads me to believe that it may be related to the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tacho stopped working as well.

I played around with the transmission fuse and it started working again....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's 12V power to the trans causing it to be stuck in 3rd. We're it a 4L80, it'd default to 2nd.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fixed this with a new ignition switch.

I found that if I keyed on/off a few times I could get power to the dash and trans fuse. Replaced the ignition switch and it's now working perfectly and has been for a few weeks.