Stripped torsion bolt keeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burgurboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a dilemma...

I've got a rusty '94 z71 silverado. I lifted the front of the truck 1" a few months back by turning the torsion bar bolts. Shortly after, i heard a loud bang, After a closer look, it looks like the torsion bolt keeper stripped out. (yes, the truck was in the air when I turned the bolts)

My original plan was to drill and tap the keeper and use a much larger, m16x2.0 bolt. I oiled up the keeper, put my drill press on low speed but, burned up my drill bit within seconds. Is the keeper hardened steel? any ideas? I cant be the first person this has happened to...

You must be registered for see images attach

burgurboy

Reaction score
Any idea where I might be able to get new replacements
? I'd like to avoid the junk yard for something like this, if possible.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Somthing like this is what you should go to the junk yard for

burgurboy

Reaction score
Well dang. I guess I'll hit a JY or 2 on the way home. Around here, the trucks are normally sitting in the grass, wheel-less, laying on their bellies. Parts like these are a major pain to get to and I'd hate to end up with another rusty one.

I'll see what I can find d

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well dang. I guess I'll hit a JY or 2 on the way home. Around here, the trucks are normally sitting in the grass, wheel-less, laying on their bellies. Parts like these are a major pain to get to and I'd hate to end up with another rusty one.

I'll see what I can find d
See if the yard will come out and flip the truck on it side for you and don't worry about them being rusty as long as they have threads this isn't a common problem

burgurboy

Reaction score
Hit the JY today. Found a nice, rust free 95 4x4 'burb. $5 for two bolts, keepers, and a coke. Thanks for the advice guys. I would have like to beefed up these bolts and keepers but, I cant argue the price I paid for this fix.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo