Strange brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had been hearing this scraping/ knocking sound from the front driver side wheel. The sound correlated to the wheel speed. So I pulled the wheel off and checked the bearing which was fine. Then I saw this piece of metal sticking out of the rotor. I was told it was a balance piece for the rotor but it wasn't supposed to be coming out like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I guess each revolution the piece would hit the caliper. So while driving I heard a bang and that's when the piece came off. So my question is wtf is the piece and should I get new rotors?

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea the piece knocked my wheel balance weights off when it came off while driving too. So idk what's up. I looked at the the other side's brake and it also has a similar metal piece inside one of the slots on the rotor. When I got home today. I went to check my tire pressure and the wheel on the side where the piece came off was extremely hot. The actual wheel itself kinda burned my hand. The other wheels were just warm like I would expect. I might just go ahead and get new rotors. Just wanted some insight if anyone had any experience with this.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I'd say get the new rotors too........they're not that expensive. But I'd put new pads on too.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
IMO If your truck is stock, just get some stock type brake pads and rotors. I think I got mine at NAPA.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I use these. R1 Concepts. They've lasted way longer than any others I've had. Check the website. Free shipping right now on any order over $99.00. For anther $10.00 get the hardware kit, too.

Selected Car : CHEVROLET C1500 PICKUP 1998 All
Brand : R1 Concepts (Eline Cross-Drilled)

Front Brake Rotors
› Retail Price : $ 246.16
› Sale Price : $ 153.85 (pair)
› Description : Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors
› Sku : EX.66025

Selected Car : CHEVROLET C1500 PICKUP 1998 AllReviews (31) | Write Review
Brand : R1 Concepts (Eline Cross-Drilled & Slotted)
Front Brake Rotors
› Retail Price : $ 246.16
› Sale Price : $ 153.85 (pair)
› Description : Cross-Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors
› Sku : EDS.66025

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say when you change out the rotors get a rebuild kit for the floating caliper bolts due to high heating could shorten their life span,,,and grease them too.
Most likely cause...cheap china metal rotors.