stock idle on tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
about how many rpms should i be sitting at if my engine was stock at idol. right now i'm about 1100 rpms while in park and about 950 rpms while in drive at a stop. i'm running a decent size cam, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-1102/ and i know you might have to have a higher idol to compensate but for some reason i think my tps is telling my computer weird things cause of it. your help would be great, thanks!

btw 95 tbi 350, edlebrock intake manifold, camed, open filter, headers pretty much just the bolt ons. also this was all done prior to me buying the truck, he said it was chipped but for some reason i don't believe him...

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have very similar mods and my truck idles around 800 RPM when at a stop in drive. I have a chip from TBIchips.com, put it in when did my intake. After the cam instal I did try the stock chip and the truck perfeormed like crap.
I would check all of your vacum hoses, and gaskets around throttle body and intake.

Now in the cold in winter my truck does idle high, around 1000-1100 in gear.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have very similar mods and my truck idles around 800 RPM when at a stop in drive. I have a chip from TBIchips.com, put it in when did my intake. After the cam instal I did try the stock chip and the truck perfeormed like crap.
I would check all of your vacum hoses, and gaskets around throttle body and intake.

Now in the cold in winter my truck does idle high, around 1000-1100 in gear.

yeah in the winter its up to like 1500 rpms, the thing is it just sucks gas like non other. but maybe i should really look into a new chip? cause don't they tend to go bad?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never really heard of a chip just going bad, might be possible but would think that the truck would not run. As for fuel mileage I get around 12 with everday driving, and slow cruising out dirt roads. Thats with 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I idol at 600 at a stop light.

MikeRWK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine idles around 1200 in park and 800 with brakes on but it has a vacuum leak or something

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
running temp idle in park 600-650 in gear 500 then some days it'll be up around 100 rpms more both park and in gear

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
If I had my laptop I'd show you the idle/temp chart. It should idle down to 475rpm in gear at operating temperate of 190 degrees. Assuming it's stock.