Stock Crate L31 Roller Rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Troop, will a set of 1.6 1 roller rockers fit on the L31 without the pushrod hole being enlarged. Time issue with crate motor or I would just disassemble and Freak it out myself. Long story work injury last Dec. and wife wants it finished as soon as possible. So thought that roller lockers are a worthwhile upgrade without much heartache. Reduce friction and wear on guides. Plus later on that will be one less thing to purchase. And I might do it any way, just have to be diligent about plugging and cleanup.

Is it worth the 10 HP, What do you think?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I doubt you'll see 10 hp.
2. You're not going to see reduced wear on the guides, unless there was a geometry problem that gets solved when you install the roller rockers. Don't count on the "roller" at the valve tip actually rolling.
3. Given OEM valve springs, there's not much genuine friction reduction. None at the pushrod end of the rocker, little or none at the valve tip end. There can be some at the center pivot. Especially with stiff valve springs, you might see lower oil temperatures. No big deal with stock valve springs.

Overall, there's no need to add roller rockers to an otherwise-stock valve train. Longer-ratio rockers may improve power...or may not.

At any rate, be sure to get the self-aligning rockers unless you want to add hardened pushrods and guideplates.