Still too loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
So my exhaust is/was pretty loud, I had hooker lt's running straight back to a magnaflow di/do muffler through 2.5"pipe with turndowns under the bed.

Now I like the exhaust dumped/cut off and it sounded good, just way to loud on the highway. SO I figured adding a second muffler should quiet it doun right?... nope its slightly quieter but not quiet enough.. sounds wayyy smoother but still loud.

so I had an idea. adding headers killed my low end torque and I like the torque for pulling and such, what I want to do is add a cable/servo controlled butterfly valve in the pipes. this would close up at low rpms and bring back some of the backpressure/torque and open up when it needs to breath.

It will also make it quieter and possibly help the mileage a bit (lugs on the highway right now)

Anyone see any problems with this.. it would basically be a throttle plate in my exhaust pipe, likley a diferent shape so it dosent catch on the not so smooth exhaust pipe and with a much bigger hole when its closed.

I though that even one with an actuator that was either all open or all closed could work too, since I have a plethora of pneumatic actuators and onboard air already.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
C6 Z06's come with this kind of exhaust setup. Maybe you could just get a stock muffler(s) from a C6 Z and be good to go.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I know the dynomax VT mufflers have a valve in them that is closed for quieter operation most of the time, but when you get on it the gas pressure opens it up, never heard one though. You could also try running your tailpipes out from under the truck, either straight back or out the passenger side would be quietest

Last edited:

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was wondering if something like this would work also, the only problem i see is when at really low rpms, it might have to much back pressure

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I originally removed my tailpipes when I started towing alot, I dont really like the look of 45's out the back and my muffler/s come too far back to turn out infront of the pass tire. I'm really thinking about a valve now though. I think just a 2 stage, open or closed would suffice for the sound. I figure that when closed I should still have probably 1.75-2" hole open and when fully open there will just be a sliver of restriction

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont see why it wouldnt work.They a glasspack like this as well as the VT.keep us updated!