Sticky TBI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
So my truck (1990) has a issue where the gas pedal is real hard then you push it, it revs real high and there is no easing it. It's ethier all or none. Does this have to do with the TBI or the pedal and cable? It's got me confused

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Try some white lithium grease and spray up around the gas pedal. I know my Honda back when had a clutch pedal that would squeak and hard to push. Sprayed some white lithium and pumped it and sprayed more and it was good. Worth a shot

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Also you may try by passing the pedal and rev the motor at the tb and see if it feels like its sticking there

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Also you may try by passing the pedal and rev the motor at the tb and see if it feels like its sticking there

Like Geoff said, rev it up at the TB. if it still does it then remove the cable and rev it again. then you'll know if it something in the TB or the cable.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Carbon build up on the throttle blade and throttle bore can cause a stiff pedal as well. More noticeable when cold. Once it heats up it seems to go away. Try cleaning it to see if that helps.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Played with it after school today seems to be the cable or pedal. Thanks guys! Now I just need to figure out how to solve that

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Carbon build up on the throttle blade and throttle bore can cause a stiff pedal as well. More noticeable when cold. Once it heats up it seems to go away. Try cleaning it to see if that helps.

This doesn't happen with a wet throttle body. The gas going thru keeps the blade clean.

Played with it after school today seems to be the cable or pedal. Thanks guys! Now I just need to figure out how to solve that

More than likely the cable. I would replace it. You don't want that breaking in you while driving.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed, and the cable is pretty easy to replace. Not expensive either. If you want to be sure though, disconnect it at the throttle body and work the cable back and forth with your finger - it should have nearly no resistance at all.

Another potential source of trouble is the throttle body base gasket. Sometimes they can be just barely off-position or swollen up, and interfering with the throttle blades. Doesn't happen often but it's a possibility to watch out for.

Richard

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, there was something ON the throttle cable that caused this. Some kind of nylon piece or something. I remember hearing about it, but never checked in to it. I'll look and see if I can find the thread again.