Steering shaft boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gndd1997

Reaction score
Ok, so quick update. Took intermediate and lower shafts out. The intermediate shaft still has a nice firm joint but was rusty so I gave it a good cleaning and sprayed it with Plasti-Dip (love that stuff, starting to paint the whole truck in it!)
You must be registered for see images attach
then moved to the lower shaft. Turns out the new rag joint I installed had loosened because of using some bad hardware (my fault, too many beers and not enough daylight!). Replaced two bolts with something a little more heavy duty and cranked down all four until the whole thing seemed like one solid unit. Reinstalled both shafts after applying a thin coat of lube to all mating surfaces and, WALLA!! Firm steering and no more creaking coming from the firewall!! I will do some investigative work on finding a longer shaft in conjunction with the XJ shaft to go all the way through the firewall to replace the wobble joint (or whatever that one's called) and eliminate the possible over center your alignment tech mentioned, sewlow. Until then, I am on my way to post a bunch of pix on the 'What did you dip today' thread...