Steering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobey

Reaction score
So I got a 96 c1500 and I’d like it to turn a little sharper. I guess I could always just use the skinny pedal and spin it around but sometimes that’s just frowned upon. I know, I know, I don’t get it either. So, with that being said, if I was to remove the steering stop on the lower control arms what is the possible downside to that. I’m sure the possibility is there for the suspension to bind with the linkage but I’m fairly competent that I would feel it or hear it if that was the case. If anyone has any ideas I’d be very greatful

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's an old pickup, not a sportscar. Temper your expectations. I wouldn't remove the stops because those are supposed to prevent strain on the box and linkage. They are supposed to be there.
First things first, make sure your front end components are all right and your alignment is good. No sense in tweaking things if your ball joints or pitman arm are sloppy. Next up, the lower shaft from Cunningham machine tightens thing up quite a bit. I really enjoy mine. It makes the steering much more responsive. If that's not enough, redhead steering gear will sell you a rebuilt box with a tighter ratio. I thought about it, but the standard ratio feels great in my Yukon with all new front end parts. Longer wheelbase trucks might be another story.