steering part replacment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how much does a shop usually charge to change ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm.

also what other parts should i replace while i'm at it?

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went through this over the last two weeks. I got a quote from Tires Plus (which is a chain on the west coast) to change my upper/lower control arm bushings, upper/lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, and end link bushings....it came to $1,200 for parts and $2,000 for labor....a total of $3,200!!!! I did it last weekend, in about 15 hours for $700 in parts. I used all Moog parts from Napa so i got a lifetime warranty.

I am having the truck aligned as we speak. Really you just need a lot of time and patience. You need to rent a ball joint press and various pullers/presses to get everything off. Then the most frustrating part is getting all the bushings out of the control arms....I pried them all out with WD40, screw drivers, and presses since I dont have a torch to melt them out.

Long story short, you are going to pay at least $2k to replace all that **** with crappy parts if you take it to a shop. Do it yourself and save some money, get better parts, and drink some beer...

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn its around 50 bucks a b-joint and about 2 hrs to do them i've done them for different people for 150 a side and they supply the parts.I think i'm not charging enuff

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$1600 was a private guys, the dealer wanted.....I dont remember but it started with a 2, so damn, 150 bucks a side, wow, I would have taken you up on that.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason dealers want so much (and why my quote was so high) is because you get charged twice for the same processes. For example to replace the upper ball joint you need to take the tire off and brakes....if that is a 2 hour job, they are still going to charge you 2 hours for the lower even though they dont need to remove some items.

It addes up at $105/hour!!!

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason dealers want so much (and why my quote was so high) is because you get charged twice for the same processes. For example to replace the upper ball joint you need to take the tire off and brakes....if that is a 2 hour job, they are still going to charge you 2 hours for the lower even though they dont need to remove some items.

It addes up at $105/hour!!!

And thats why they are the stealership!!!!!

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn its around 50 bucks a b-joint and about 2 hrs to do them i've done them for different people for 150 a side and they supply the parts.I think i'm not charging enuff

That's about right if you are doing it on the side....4 hours for upper and lower on one side is about $40/hour.