Steering issue k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian93ck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 classic z71 when I bought it was very light in the steering which I found odd, no free play but very little tension and in long sweeping corners it was hard to take the corner smooth it wants to drop fast in the wheel if you go to turn a little more. Now it's progressively gotten worse and the past week down right scary, through sharpe corners like right hand corners at intersections it's fine just lack of pressure very easy to turn but on like on ramps and off ramps when your turning and go to adjust and turn a little more the wheel Loses tension and drops like an 1/8 of a turn almost and causes the truck to jerk, it's very hard to explain but I'm not enjoying it, couple mechanics said u joints in the steering shaft, another said there's a sensor under the dash that controls the power steering and then I read up online and the best answer I've found is unplug a 2 wire plug on the back of th steering box and if that stops it its that sensor which is a epv or something, anyways I have to unbolt some stuff under the hood to get at that so I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue or has an idea what it could be thanks

matttahoe53

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem I just fixed. It was the steering speed sensor. The part was relatively inexpensive and it didn't take very long to swap out.

Canadian93ck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much easier then expected and a world of difference amazing how that little sensor makes it feel like all new front end parts