Steering and Bouncing Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
Hello again!
Just wanted post a inquiry about my truck. She's having a few issues.
1. Any speed over 15 MPH the steering wheel begins to shake back and forth horribly. To the point where if I'm smoking and the cig is in my hand on the wheel it will shake the ashes off! Its not all the time though. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

2. Every single bump and hole I hit on the road feels 10 times bigger then it should be and the suspension squeaks like crazy!
It jars the entire truck as if I had no shocks at all. No crank what so ever.

3. When I had my motor replaced the truck sat for about 4 months before I had it towed to a shop, the mechanic claimed the back brakes were locked up so he had to the the emergency brake cable... WTF? Makes no sense.

I been driving her daily for the past 6 months.

The truck has a 3" body lift. NO crank. The shocks are yellow and blue Billstiens that are flaking off and rusting pretty noticeably.
33" Tires on 16" Rims that havent been balanced or rotated in about 12 months.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried jacking the front end off the ground and checking the TRE's for play? Next option would be a tire rotation and yes replace your shocks.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Tread depth does not always indicate the condition of the tires. Some tires will develop flat spots if the truck doesn't move for a while (4 months could do that) or there may be broken cords in the tires.
Sounds like your truck's experiencing 'death wobble'. Worn shocks, tired steering components, loose wheel bearings, tire issues, individually or in combination will cause this.

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
I jacked the front end up by the front crossmember. went to driver side tire and got a little wobble out of it. went to passenger side and had a tad bit more then the driver side.

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
Haven't pursued it any further yet, been too windy and nasty out to do anything today. Should I wait till summer to change the shocks when I do the 6" lift kit? Or just toss a cheapo set on there now?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chapdog97