Stays in gear!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I googled this issue with only one relevant link (Firebird owner with 4L60E) which was the same question unanswered.

I have a 95 ECSB 4x4 with the 350 tbi and 4L60E trans. When I let off the gas to coast, most noticeable when I'm coming off the freeway, the trans stays in gear. It feels exactly like driving a stick shift and letting off the gas to have the engine and trans slowly slow the truck down. It does not up shift or down shift at all, it just stays in the gear it was last in when I let off the gas pedal. Almost like the converter wont let go. I've tried tapping the brake pedal it an attempt to release the TCC solenoid thinking maybe that was the issue. My fear is that I will be getting off an exit on the freeway and the truck will decide to down shift and throw my big ass into the windshield. Other than that, having this problem does not help with my already great gas mileage...

Other info,
No cap or bed cover on the truck
3.73 gears
Z71 package
285/75/16 33" tires, stock rims
Put Lucas trans conditioner in the trans about a month ago in an attempt to help my delayed reverse issue
EGR is bad because I haven't had time to replace it yet
Truck and trans have 174,*** miles (not much history available)
Engine has 281,*** miles (well maintained, family owned since new)
Has issue whether the truck is hauling stuff or empty
Known bad ground from battery to frame (again not enough time to fix yet) (engine to frame is grounded with 2x 4 gauge wires plus stock grounds)

Thanks for any help!
-Joe

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Could be the TCC control solenoid sticking. But it's basically not unlocking.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
hmm I don't follow. if your on the highway i'm guessing your in OD. as far as I know it should always be in gear unless the shifter is in the neutral position. I you leave the shifter in D you will feel this more. Sounds normal to me, but either way drive it till it dies and add more lucas!

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
hmm I don't follow. if your on the highway i'm guessing your in OD. as far as I know it should always be in gear unless the shifter is in the neutral position. I you leave the shifter in D you will feel this more. Sounds normal to me, but either way drive it till it dies and add more lucas!

Sorry bud, that's incorrect. He can throw it in neutral to mitigate the problem, but there is still a problem.

+
Put Lucas trans conditioner in the trans about a month ago in an attempt to help my delayed reverse issue

That stuff is useless. At the very least you need to drop the pan. I'm betting you've got either a bunch of sludge in there clogging the valves, or worse issues...

OP- Here is how you diag the issue:

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/aa061701a.htm

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
oh, tcc is something I have never fully understood. I have 4.56 gears, but I can feel my truck is always in gear, and once is slows down to like 40mph I feel a downshift to 3rd. then at say 20mph I feel 2nd then at like 10mph or less I feel 1st. but its been like this for a lonnnggg time towing and offroading a lot also.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
If your TCC had a delayed release, or didn't release, the truck would feel like a stickshift that you forgot to put the clutch in on when coming to a stop, and/or stall ;)