Stainless Shortys for 1998 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been planning to finish off a lot of projects on my 1998 K1500 standard cab stepside with a 305 Vortec. Within the next couple of weeks one of the things I'd like to do is grab a set of stainless shorty headers, just looking for a direct replacement as the rest of my exhaust is custom from the cat rearward, and a stainless Magnaflow Y-pipe and cat was installed a couple years back. I want to keep my current setup but my stock manifolds are such an eyesore. I've been looking into the Manzo eBay/Amazon headers (I know I know, eBay quality is questionable at best) but I plan to use better bolts and gaskets. I've done some research and they seem decent, I'm not looking for power gains really. My questions are: all the headers are listed for up to 1997 fitment, but not for 1998. Is there a big difference in header design? So far I haven't been able to tell anything apart. Also would you guys recommend an exhaust wrap for an Ohio daily driver? Just thinking of ways to keep some of the elements off the pipes. I'd be happy to do a review If I pick up a pair, and hey if they suck I can always pony up the cash for some Gibsons or the like in the future. Thanks for any help!

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exhaust wrap is a no no. it weakens the metal. and causes more problems than it solves, Go with a header with good coating if you want to keep the heat at bay.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I believe headers that fit on a 1997, should fit anywhere from a 1996-1998 w/ a 305 Vortec.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what i was thinking but I can't figure out why none of them list only up to 97. I guess if there are no factory differences it would work. Also, good advice about the header wrap, seems like I'll pass on it. Thanks guys!

Hogg

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been planning to finish off a lot of projects on my 1998 K1500 standard cab stepside with a 305 Vortec. Within the next couple of weeks one of the things I'd like to do is grab a set of stainless shorty headers, just looking for a direct replacement as the rest of my exhaust is custom from the cat rearward, and a stainless Magnaflow Y-pipe and cat was installed a couple years back. I want to keep my current setup but my stock manifolds are such an eyesore. I've been looking into the Manzo eBay/Amazon headers (I know I know, eBay quality is questionable at best) but I plan to use better bolts and gaskets. I've done some research and they seem decent, I'm not looking for power gains really. My questions are: all the headers are listed for up to 1997 fitment, but not for 1998. Is there a big difference in header design? So far I haven't been able to tell anything apart. Also would you guys recommend an exhaust wrap for an Ohio daily driver? Just thinking of ways to keep some of the elements off the pipes. I'd be happy to do a review If I pick up a pair, and hey if they suck I can always pony up the cash for some Gibsons or the like in the future. Thanks for any help!
The main issue with the OEM manifold to catalytic pipes is its diameter and the nasty crimp style bends. Now your 305 L30 will have the TBI 305/350 Y-pipe and single cat.
Upgrading to dual cats with better headpipes would work nicely.

Here are the 1/2 ton L31 and 3/4 ton L31 headpipes side by side. 1/2 ton on left, 3/4 ton right
You must be registered for see images attach

The 1/2 ton 350 uses 1`-7/8" OD pipe that crimps down to about 1/2 of that in the 90║ crimp bends. The OEM 3/4 ton pipes are 2-3/4" IIRC.

Going with a nice set of shorty headers on a headpipe setup similar to the 3/4 ton L31 setup would be the best flow wise IMO.

peace
Hog

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent advice Hogg, I appreciate the pictures. I've seen these somewhere before and was trying to find them. I currently have a mandrel bent Magnaflow cat and Y pipe but I'm definitely thinking about finding the 3/4 ton pipes, or having some fabbed up with the same diameter. :)