squishy brakes after FULL rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Last year I replaced the rear drum components with new parts from a rebuild kit and the brakes were really good. very minimal squishyness and locked up all 4 tires easily. Now after sitting for the winter the rear brake line blew out and the front calipers were sticking so I replaced EVERYTHING with factory replacement parts or better besides the M/C and the drum parts I replaced last year.

So, I have both new front calipers, all new Braided stainless flex lines front and back, all new hard lines in the back, both new wheel cylinders in the back. And I blead, blead, and blead some more until there wasn't even the smallest air bubble in the system. But I cant get the brakes to feel like they did last year. What am I missing here???

I can still get all 4 tires to lock up but there is a lot of pedal travel before that happens.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: this is a 1993 1500 ECSB 5-speed 4x4

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the drums adjusted?

You may need to get the ABS module bled. It requires a good scanner to initiate it. It cycles the internal valves, in theory pushing the air into the downstream brake lines. You'd then bleed the four corners like normal.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you have a 1993. Not sure if they use a simpler ABS setup or not--rear only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
damn, I didn't adjust the drums yet. Thats probably it. I Thought drums were self-adjusting though? I've been doing a lot of hard stopping seeing if the squishyness would go down, which it hasn't

And I deleted the rear ABS module since it wasn't working anyway in another attempt to firm up the brakes.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, they need to be manually adjusted first.

Depending on which drum setup you have, they will auto adjust either by applying the parking brake or braking in reverse.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
ok, I had to disconnect my parking brake a while ago due to rusted lines and never replaced them. I tried braking in reverse a lot with no success.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'll manually adjust them but since I'm in there and it looks like the parking brake is how they auto adjust, where would be the best place to get replacement parking brake cables?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could try RockAuto for the brake cable and equalizer. Parts store may have them as well.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
to replace the parking brake cables, will I need to disassemble the drums again or can I get to it with the shoes and everything still in place?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you disconnect the parking brake...at the equalizer or on the lever in the drum?

Not sure if you can reconnect without removing the shoes or not, it's been a while since I did mine.

Mark the drum when you take it off so that it goes back on at the same orientation (wear pattern).

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First make sure your brake adjusters are not seized up. Every time I service drum brakes I remove clean & lube the adjusters. Make sure all self adjust parts are there and hooked up correctly. With new shoes start with the adjusters all the way in and then put the drums on and put two lug nuts on to seat the drums against the flange. Adjust the shoes out while turning the drum till it gets hard to turn by hand. That is a good initial adjust the self adjusters should take it from there. I think you will need to remove the shoes to install cables in the drums. It certainly is easier. Drum brakes require three simple inexpensive tools to make service easy. 1. a tool to remove and install the keeper springs that hold the shoe to the backing plate. 2. a tool to remove and install the main return springs and 3 a good brake adjusting tool.
As far as bleeding I just open the bleeders one at a time and make sure the master doesn't run out of fluid. Gravity is your friend and helper.