Squeaky belt!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so my belt is only a few months old I replaced it when I did the water pump. I washed under my hood the other day and might have gotten the belt a little wet. Ever since then it's been sounding like there's a nest of birds under my hood. What would be the best solution to this problem?

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are just going to have to wait it out or a idler pulley, belt tensioner, water pump, alternator or pwer steering pump is on its way out.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I replaced the belt tensioner when i did the water pump because the old one broke when i took it off

Just2Sweet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a Goodyear Gatorback. Don't mess around with any of that Gates garbage they sell at Napa/Advance/etc

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks fellas. it actually went away. now it only does it on cold start ups for about 2 minutes then silence!!

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I always hold a bar of soap to both sides of the belt while the engine is running.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I always hold a bar of soap to both sides of the belt while the engine is running.

I did that and it caused my belt to bawl and slip like mad. I ended up having to remove it and clean it to get the soap out. It may have been an error on my part, but it was terrible lol.

I had a similar problem to the OP awhile back. Same thing happened, washed under the hood and started heading a squeak. It was my idler pulley squeaking. I removed it, took out the bearing seals and repacked it with grease, and haven't heard a peep from it since.

You can make sure it is the idler pulley by spraying some silicon or WD40 onto the inside of it while the truck is running. If it goes away then you know it is that. Just imo.