Speedo not Speedoing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed I was apparently going zero even though I could have sworn I was moving down the street. Anyway, the speedo starting working again a few minutes later, but I've noticed it going dead again since then. I honestly keep forgetting to keep an eye on it and see how often this happens, or if there is a pattern...so it's obviously not a pressing issue for me.

Everything else is working fine, odometer, tach, trip meter, etc. Any thoughts?

A little intertube researching brought up a thread about a burnt battery terminal causing this problem. Sounds odd, but that's all I've got so for.

Thanks!

-Alex

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming automatic - is the transmission behaving properly when this happens? If so, the problem is likely in the cluster or wiring in the dash; if it starts shifting funny then you probably have a speed sensor problem or wiring problem that could start there. Since you're a 4x4 the sensor is on your transfer case. Actually, I take that back. If you were a half ton 4x4 that's where it would be. Your truck having a 4L80E, it has two speed sensors - front and rear, input and output essentially, not sure what they do with that setup on a 4x4 as I haven't owned one like that. The two sensor setup on a 4L80E is to gauge slippage and apply torque converter lockup as needed.

Richard

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Assuming automatic - is the transmission behaving properly when this happens? If so, the problem is likely in the cluster or wiring in the dash; if it starts shifting funny then you probably have a speed sensor problem or wiring problem that could start there. Since you're a 4x4 the sensor is on your transfer case. Actually, I take that back. If you were a half ton 4x4 that's where it would be. Your truck having a 4L80E, it has two speed sensors - front and rear, input and output essentially, not sure what they do with that setup on a 4x4 as I haven't owned one like that. The two sensor setup on a 4L80E is to gauge slippage and apply torque converter lockup as needed.

Richard

Thanks Richard. The truck is shifting and driving fine, so it looks like it's a wiring or cluster issue. I'm just not sure where to start in terms of hunting it down.

Stepper motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the motor that controls the gauge itself? I assume it's located in the cluster...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

jlcms2007

Reaction score
Thanks Richard. The truck is shifting and driving fine, so it looks like it's a wiring or cluster issue. I'm just not sure where to start in terms of hunting it down.

This is the motor that controls the gauge itself? I assume it's located in the cluster...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Yes. Fleabay has the kits vs letting someone else do it for $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While stepper motors can fail, it's the newer trucks that are notorious for it. Our generation of trucks is really not known at all for stepper motor failure in the cluster. Not saying it can't happen, just that it's not very likely. You could boneyard another cluster for cheap and just try it. Our clusters aren't designed like the newer trucks; the stepper motors don't solder in. They just shove into sockets on the circuit board. See the studs poking out? Those are the connections from the stepper motors into the circuit board sockets:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
easy thing to try is hit a local pick and pull and grab a cluster from another truck should cost tops $20 and remove yours and plug the other in and see what happens

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Thanks boys. I'll keep my eye out for a craigslist cluster, or maybe hit a boneyard one of these days - this isn't really a top priority for me, but I'm glad I know what to try first now.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since your in comifornia.... I'm going to say no, "legally" you can not switch odometers.. but then I will say........ it can be switched and easily and your new (to you) clusters odometer can be easily adjusted to match your original to....so either way... but you being in comifornia, I didn't tell you that....lol...

sent from what use to be a great country...