So, I think I have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. 98 GMC Z71 Sirerra Ext Cab 4x4 here. I am finding on ocassion, when driving straight or going in a curve on a road, whether my steering wheel is turned to the left, right, or motioning for correctness, my steering wheel will, for lack of better words, twitch and feel as if I put a large amount of steering input into it, when all I really did was move the wheel 1/2 in. Its a surprise when it happens. Any ideas?

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like your EVO Sensor, you can test this by unplugging the Sensor on the bottom of the steering column. When you unplug the sensor full power will be sent to your steering gear box and your steering will feel different at higher speeds.

Here is a pic
You must be registered for see images attach

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hodges, thank you. Ill try that tomorrow.

Nice truck you have, BTW. Mine is similar with it being a GMC

bowtiefreak

Where am I?
Reaction score
It sounds like your EVO Sensor, you can test this by unplugging the Sensor on the bottom of the steering column. When you unplug the sensor full power will be sent to your steering gear box and your steering will feel different at higher speeds.

Here is a pic
You must be registered for see images attach

I just did my suburban. I noticed it during a low speed turn, about 20 and under the wheel felt loose like I hit ice. My tahoe did it years ago at 55+ the wheel would go loose. It;s an easy thing to replace if you need to.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I bought the sensor at Rockauto. I think I paid around $40-50

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt and looked under the column. I suppose I was looking for a grey like item. I think I found it but dont know where a pulg is or how to disconnect it.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once you locate the sensor in the gray housing the wire should be at the top, trace it toward the steering wheel and you will find the plug. Be careful not to break it when you unplug it.