Sluggish Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been having an issue with the cruise control in my truck for quite a while. Honestly, I never realized it was an issue until we got my wife's Suburban which has a perfectly operational cruise control. The initial problem is setting the cruise. As soon as you set it and let off the accelerator it slows down 2-4mph and then seems to engage and catches up to the set speed. It also doesn't like hills or attempting to downshift to maintain speed. Sometimes it will just drop speed until the cruise control disengages.

Edit - It did this before I lifted it, too. So I don't believe tire size or gearing are the culprits.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The main cable coming off the throttle body has a twistable adjustment righty tighty it a little at a time till it "catches" up to instant cruise
Edit.. The main cable for the cruise control

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Also possible the cruise motor has just gone bad. They suffer, though not nearly as often, from bad solder joints like the wiper circuit board does. You could try swapping it out with a boneyard one as they really don't go bad that much. Or, pop the circuit board out of yours and go over all the major solder joints, particularly where the harness plugs in. If the ground is weak it may be grounding through whatever it can and responding slowly due to this. That's a high speed motor in there and it needs good power to work quickly.

Richard

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
definately check the cable. Mine was sluggish as well, the cable had a ton of slack in it. Tighten it, and perfect.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cable fixed it! Thanks fellas. I noticed the slack before, but never realized it was an issue. I thought the computer would take up the slack or something when the cruise control was engaged. I had to take up almost 1/2" with the adjuster, however, the adjustment wasn't a righty-tighty thing. There's a clip that you have to squeeze to release the cable stop and then it just slides wherever you need it. Release the clip and it locks. :)

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cable fixed it! Thanks fellas. I noticed the slack before, but never realized it was an issue. I thought the computer would take up the slack or something when the cruise control was engaged. I had to take up almost 1/2" with the adjuster, however, the adjustment wasn't a righty-tighty thing. There's a clip that you have to squeeze to release the cable stop and then it just slides wherever you need it. Release the clip and it locks. :)
What year is your truck?

Live action!!