sluggish acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
about 5 months ago i changed my intake gaskets on my 97 5.7 vortec and ever since then it seems like it has no pep on take off and getting up to speed. im at 0*+2 on my cam offset, the way its suppose to be. fuel pressure is fine (60-62) new fuel filter. im wondering if its my cats considering it had now 200k. but i have no signs really of any smoke/discharge like the cats are clogged but i could be wrong. my question is, could it be the cats? or any other ideas?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Sounds like a vac leak. I changed m injector spider on my '96 Suburban I had a couple years ago and it started to do the same thing. It was leaking from around the top of the spider assembly, but wasn't making any noise like a vac leak usually does. I found it by spraying ether (starting fluid) around everywhere there could be a leak. If there's a leak the truck will idle higher when you spray it

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
i replaced all the gaskets/o-rings on the upper intake as well. far as i know i didnt roll or cut any when installing it

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I changed all of my gaskets as well, and like I said, it all seemed to go back together fine. No unusual noises or anything. Still acted sluggish, so I started checking for vac leaks. Even though you replaced them all, one still might be leaking. It doesn't hurt to check

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And how do you fix it if it is a leak? I plan on upgrading my spider assembly in the next few months and want to know ahead of time how to fix it if it comes up.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
All I did was reinstall it using a dab of axle grease all around the o-ring (or oval-ring, I guess is technically what it is). It helps it slide in easier and helps it seal as well.

And no, it won't hurt anything if a little bit get's into the intake. Obviously a gob will, but if you use it sparingly then whatever might get in there won't.