sensor on back of PS pump??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 has that steering assist sensor thingy on the back of the pump. What does it do and does disconnecting it and the extra line improve my ability to turn my wheels easier from a dead stop? I have 305/55/20s and the pump whines a bit when trying to turn the wheels from a dead stop or while trying to park or something..

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well when working properly, at slow speeds (like you are asking about) the evo system is supposed to provide 100% steering assist. When you accelerate its supposed to cut the steering assist back to provide a "firmer" feel in the steering wheel.

Not sure what you mean by "extra" line though. There should only be two unless you have hydro boost brakes.

Unplugging it might help but if it doesn't you are looking at replacing the pump

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Unplugging it will do the opposite of helping. As stated the EVO system is designed to provide more assist at low speed operation. So as long as your steering speed sensor (the one on the column) is working, and you're still not getting good assist at low speed, then your pump is likely worn out. You are asking it to move some pretty big tires though...

Richard

Frankp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've recently replaced my power steering pump with an AC Delco which said it was an updated version for the 98 K1500 and it eliminated the EVO on the back of the pump like the old one had. I've noticed no change is steering at all.