Running warm.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBeast

Reaction score
So the issue is, she gets warm, about 210-220 climbing grades, ac on or off, doesn’t matter. Throttle position and gear doesn’t matter. Then, on the down hill, back to 190, level ground about 210. Idling, standing still she sits at 220. I’m thinking fan clutch, I can hear the fan sometimes, when it’s on it cools right off, but sometimes if it gets to 210-220, it doesn’t engage. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year truck? Are those temperatures based on the dash gauge or from a scanner reading the coolant temperature sensor— assuming it’s a 96+.

TheBeast

Reaction score
My bad, forgot to add it to signature. It’s in previous posts, but, it’s a 94 k2500, 4x4. Here’s another tidbit, it doesn’t do this at home. I live in big bear, about 6200 ft elevation, hottest it’s been is 80. Down here in the desert, is where she does it. Ambient temp about 100. Idling at a light ac on or off, she climbs just past 210.

TheBeast

Reaction score
My bad, forgot to add it to signature. It’s in previous posts, but, it’s a 94 k2500, 4x4, 454. Here’s another tidbit, it doesn’t do this at home. I live in big bear, about 6200 ft elevation, hottest it’s been is 80. Down here in the desert, is where she does it. Ambient temp about 100. Idling at a light ac on or off, she climbs just past 210.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the upper radiator hose get hot?

How old is the thermostat?

TheBeast

Reaction score
Yes it gets warm. Well, hot. T-stat I’m not sure. Was going to replace today, but the housing that is prescribed for the 455, does not match what I have. Mine is a regular older model housing. The one they say I should have is a tiny little tstat and a housing that shoots straight up.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
210 is about normal for most chevys.. it's fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it’s at least opening, then. Wouldn’t hurt to replace it, and probably wouldn’t hurt to flush it out and bleed. In the meantime, you could try burping it in case you have air in it.

Is it using coolant or leaking? Fins on radiator are clean and not gummed up with dust and dead bugs? How’s the belt...any slipping?

TheBeast

Reaction score
So this hot at idle, then cruse. Ambient is 108 right now.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach