Running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I should just go ahead and upgrade the injector assembly and come back if the problem persists. Gotcha.

Nah, just saying that there is a semi-scientific way to check. Throwing parts at the problem is never advisable. You can always remove the upper plenum take a look at the injectors and see if they look bad. Only thing you'd be losing is time.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'd like to replace the injector assembly nonetheless. Right now, it's too cold to stand out there and check like you said. Also, if I pull the upper plenum off, dont I have to replace the o-rings and stuff? That's the main reason I havent yet.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I remember right you don't have to take the distributor out, or is there any water jackets, or anything of that sort in there. Mainly disconnecting the wiring harness and moving whatever is in the way aside. There should be a gasket for the lower to upper intake, and probably a few more O-rings, but that should be it.

Here is a shot of it on the engine, with the cover off.

You must be registered for see images attach

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen pictures of what it looks like. But like I said, I didnt know if I have to replace the o-rings. I guess when it warms up a little, I'll get in there and check it all. If there's carbon build-up like in the picture, will carb cleaner be good?

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's still $16 we dont have to spare. So I'll just pull it off and look then reuse them. No real choice.

Anything to necessarily look for other than fuel pooling. Also, would it be fine to prime the pump a few times then pull it off so I can see where fuel is pooling?

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is understandable.

Yep, like I said above, prime the pump by putting the ignition key to on, without starting the car, for couple of seconds, then to off, repeat the same procedure a few times. The pump will run for couple of seconds when you turn the key - on nearly any fuel injected car - to "on", then shut off if you don't crank.

Pull it off? As in the pump? It's in the gas tank so need to fiddle with it unless it's bad. You can pull the intake off, keep the MAF plugged in so there are no new thrown codes and do as described above.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is understandable.

Yep, like I said above, prime the pump by putting the ignition key to on, without starting the car, for couple of seconds, then to off, repeat the same procedure a few times. The pump will run for couple of seconds when you turn the key - on nearly any fuel injected car - to "on", then shut off if you don't crank.

Pull it off? As in the pump? It's in the gas tank so need to fiddle with it unless it's bad. You can pull the intake off, keep the MAF plugged in so there are no new thrown codes and do as described above.
Not the pump. Prime it then pull the upper intake off to see pooling fuel.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Well it's still $16 we dont have to spare. So I'll just pull it off and look then reuse them. No real choice.

Anything to necessarily look for other than fuel pooling. Also, would it be fine to prime the pump a few times then pull it off so I can see where fuel is pooling?

I would just suggest doing what DGA1 suggested first and look down thorough the throttle body with a flashlight. You might not necessarily be able to eliminate the possibility of the injector assembly leaking, but you could probably confirm it, if you get what I'm saying. Too easy, wouldn't take 5 minutes.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not the pump. Prime it then pull the upper intake off to see pooling fuel.

You might have to replace the gaskets in that case.

I would just suggest doing what DGA1 suggested first and look down thorough the throttle body with a flashlight. You might not necessarily be able to eliminate the possibility of the injector assembly leaking, but you could probably confirm it, if you get what I'm saying. Too easy, wouldn't take 5 minutes.

Yup, do this. Like 1500 says, it should not take you long at all.