Rubber door to rocker seals and rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoob8000

Reaction score
I've noticed only the later years of GMT400 trucks had the rubber seals on the bottoms of the doors.
I'm talking about the sill piece that seals against the rocker panel. Not the weatherstrip itself.

I'm starting to get some rust behind mine and thought of just taking them off.

Do they serve any purpose beside trapping salt/grime behind them?

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dunno if your talking about what I think your talking about, but that sounds incredibly nice.
My '89 gets mud and snow and all kinds of stuff up under the doors and on the interior door sills. Some kind of seal there would be great

scoob8000

Reaction score
I dunno if your talking about what I think your talking about, but that sounds incredibly nice.
My '89 gets mud and snow and all kinds of stuff up under the doors and on the interior door sills. Some kind of seal there would be great

I can't believe I can't find a picture of what I'm talking about. I'll snap a photo tonight.

It must be what your thinking though, to keep the door sills clean. Every truck I've ever seen that had them though, has rust under them where gunk gets stuck between them and the door.

scoob8000

Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about. I can see how it keeps the sills clean, but look behind it. :/

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Huh. Yeah my '89 doesn't have those. Besides holding gunk and rusting, they seem nice for keeping stuff from coming up further.

scoob8000

Reaction score
Huh. Yeah my '89 doesn't have those. Besides holding gunk and rusting, they seem nice for keeping stuff from coming up further.

I'm thinking they started somewhere around the year they redesigned the interior..

I think I'm gonna take them off but save them, clean the rust up best as I can and see what happens. This truck is pretty clean, except the doors and D/S cab corner. I was trying not to drive it in the winter, but I think it'll be unavoidable this year.