rough running when weather changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been having a misfire issuefor a year now,with no luck in fixing it. But ive noticed it is much worse when its raining or the weather/temperature changes. Can anyone give me ideas as to what could cause this. I have new AC delco plugs and wires,new duralast distributor,, cap , rotor and ignition control module.cant find any vacuum leaks. Ive been told it could be the poor quality of the AutoZone distributor.the issue started soon after i installed it.i just want to be sure before i spend big money for a delco or delphi distributor

Last edited:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the issue started just after the distributor was installed, I'd start there first.

X2. It's most likely no coincidence that it started right after the new distributor was installed, your better off with a delphi or delco or even a used GM dist. before a house brand in my opinion. Also have you checked the timing? It's possible that the timing was never properly set after the dizzy was installed.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also have you checked the timing? It's possible that the timing was never properly set after the dizzy was installed.

This^^^^

I don't know what the deal is with autozone distributors, I have bought a few from them over the years that I had to return. One was so sloppy I could measure the play in the shaft with a ruler, almost like they forgot to put in the bushings.

The cheap rebuilt distributors also come with the cheap control module, assuming this is a tbi motor.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2. It's most likely no coincidence that it started right after the new distributor was installed, your better off with a delphi or delco or even a used GM dist. before a house brand in my opinion. Also have you checked the timing? It's possible that the timing was never properly set after the dizzy was installed.

Timing was set correct,it ran perfect for a month or two.then out of nowhere started misfiring

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Well, why did you replace the distributor itself? And yeah, start there with the problem. Cheap rebuilds are like rolling the dice.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
duralast cap and rotor are the issue my truck was fine last saturday it poured late day saturday into sunday afternoon started truck to go to the store misfired like crazy,monday morning new ac delco cap and rotor running great,plus had to do the same on a buddies tahoe his wouldnt start from the moisture in the cap

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
duralast cap and rotor are the issue my truck was fine last saturday it poured late day saturday into sunday afternoon started truck to go to the store misfired like crazy,monday morning new ac delco cap and rotor running great,plus had to do the same on a buddies tahoe his wouldnt start from the moisture in the cap

^^^^ This

I noticed there isn't the best seal on these distributor caps compared to the older style distributors. So I would definitely stay with a good brand. ACDelco or MSD is a good choice.

Sent from Robl@nd

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, why did you replace the distributor itself? And yeah, start there with the problem. Cheap rebuilds are like rolling the dice.

I was replacing the lower intake gasket,and noticed the bushing on the original was completely worn out

The Blue Ox

Reaction score
Accel Billet Aluminum Distributor is a good one to use. I've been running mine for several years. Use the Accel cap and rotor too! It's got good contact material!