Replacing radiator hose clamps

Radiator hose clamps: OEM Spring or Screw

• OEM Spring

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Screw

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While getting ready to flush my coolant system, I noticed my lower radiator hose has two nasty, rusty screw type hose clamps on either end.
Since I have to remove the lower hose, I plan to replace the clamps, then figure I'd replace the hose while I'm there (I'm **** about hose :Big Laugh:)

What do ya'll prefer if you had to replace the clamps and time wasn't a factor, would you:
A. Order new OEM spring clamps from the dealer?
B. Throw on new screw clamps from the auto parts store?

Aside from being a believer in OEM parts, I've read online that screw clamps can leak. I've never experienced this problem, as my '92 is full of them.

What's your opinion/experience? Are spring clamps really better?
(Time and money isn't a factor, my regular trips to the desert including steep grade climbs depend on a reliable cooling system)

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go to a truck dealer (IH, Kenworth, etc...) and buy the lined hose clamps. They do a lot better job and don't damage the hose. Auto parts stores can be hit and miss quality wise on these so I just buy mine from the International dealer in town. The OE style spring clamps are great if you have a release tool but can be real finger munchers if you're using pliers to put them on.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Go to a truck dealer (IH, Kenworth, etc...) and buy the lined hose clamps. They do a lot better job and don't damage the hose.
What do they look like? If they are better, I'd be interested in using them.

Auto parts stores can be hit and miss quality wise on these so I just buy mine from the International dealer in town. The OE style spring clamps are great if you have a release tool but can be real finger munchers if you're using pliers to put them on.

He's right! Cheap worm clamps are just that, cheap!! I've had them break, strip and even loosen up after a days drive. As for the spring clamp style, they seal great, but really are not re useable. And I have twanged a few fingers when they slip off the pliers. I use the tool now.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do they look like? If they are better, I'd be interested in using them.

They just have an inner band that goes about a 1/4 of the way around the inside. They're for silicone hose is what they are but I use them on most everything because quality is so much better, none of this clamp tears in half while tightening with a nut driver business.

There's two styles available, one that's a one piece design and the other is a riveted affair. They're both excellent in my experience.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I run the factory style clamps until they start leaking and then put screw type hose clamps on. The trick IMO with the spring clamps is get them back in the exact same position they were before.

I don't have the tool, but I've found channel locks work pretty well on the spring clamps. Either that or vice grips if they're big enough. Regular pliers suck for that job.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Go to a truck dealer (IH, Kenworth, etc...) and buy the lined hose clamps. They do a lot better job and don't damage the hose. Auto parts stores can be hit and miss quality wise on these so I just buy mine from the International dealer in town. The OE style spring clamps are great if you have a release tool but can be real finger munchers if you're using pliers to put them on.

This, they don't leave the giant dent in the hose.