Removal of Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone done this and if so what did you do?

For a temporary fix i bought 8 new 6 x 20 mm bolts and will be removing the roof rack and just screwing in the new bolts with some teflon tape for sealant and then painting over them.

Thoughts?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Empire Motorsports makes some billet plates to cover the holes.

This was my '99 Yukon.

You must be registered for see images attach

I plan to get some of those for my Suburban sometime, but there's no room in the budget for that right now. I pulled the rack and just filled the holes with silicone until then.

dustin83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is now my next mod. I wanted to get rid of that useless roof rack for a while now.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 6 x 20mm bolts were too long. So i went to Home Depot and picked up eight of the 6 x 12mm set screws which worked out better for the low profile at least until i can do the body work.

It was so easy and only took about 30 mins. I took each set screw and wrapped the threads in teflon tape and added some UV/waterproof silicone for good measure. After installing the set screw flush i put some silicone over the top to prevent it from retaining water.

This might take longer if you don't wash your truck very often, because you will want the surface clean and dry for the silicone to stick.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend of mine used pieces of vinyl like what you use for decals and signs on his astro van worrked really well

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have removed several, and I always do like mentioned above, get shorter screws and put a little silicone on the screw heads. I need to weld up the ones on my 2DR though.

95ukawn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you have to remove headliner to get to the screws right??? how hard is it to remove complete headliner??? i took my rack off awhile ago but never got to removing the bolts, i just put siliicone on it, and it looks like crap!

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You DO NOT have to remove the headliner at all. Mine is a 2dr and was only held on by 8 bolts. All I did was unscrew them and off it came.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You DO NOT have to remove the headliner at all. Mine is a 2dr and was only held on by 8 bolts. All I did was unscrew them and off it came.

He said he's already removed his rack, so he's not talking about pulling the headliner to remove the bolts holding the rack on. I think he's asking about removing the threads from the roof. In that case, if you're wanting to get them out and weld up the holes, then yes, you'll need to remove the headliner.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said he's already removed his rack, so he's not talking about pulling the headliner to remove the bolts holding the rack on. I think he's asking about removing the threads from the roof. In that case, if you're wanting to get them out and weld up the holes, then yes, you'll need to remove the headliner.

My Bad then, "you have to remove headliner to get to the screws right???" I was thinking screws and not patching the holes, but i think your right and that would make much more sense too.