Reman steering box with slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have installed 4 reman boxes across two different trucks (both GMT 400s) within the last 12 months and every single one had 3"-4" of slack after installing. Anyone ever had this phenomenon? I put the Z86 quick ratio box in my 93 RCSB (reman from Oreilly) with all brand new front end parts (pitman, idler, inner and outer tie rods) and I have the same slack with the new box that I had with the old box. The front end aligned fine and it drives nice and straight minus the slack which sucks at 70mph. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: I have thought about adjusting the box but it has a lifetime warranty. I'm caught between adjusting the box and having that not work then not being able to exchange it (Oreilly puts a glob of paint on the adjuster) versus swapping for another crap box.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the XJ swap and solved my issues with my slack. It was a combo of rag joint even though I replaced the rubber and the worn box which i replaced but now have to change it again.

TopdaT

Reaction score
I got a PSC box and have to say I was disappointed when I got it... The gear was binding or something. They did take it back full refund minus shipping however.. Believe it or I ended up swapping to a 454 quick ratio box straight from AutoZone. The truck has been on the road now for over a year and so far no issues and the steering is really responsive.

Last edited:

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I got from O'Reilly, the quick ratio box for the 454SS trucks. It is quick ratio, which makes the 3" of slack seem worse.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is why rebuild boxes still have play: http://www.stangerssite.com/CanISteeringBox2.html

I rebuilt 2 boxes on my own and it was better but never what I thought it was supposed to be. Even with the jeep shaft I had an inch or so of play. It wasn't dangerous but it was annoying. I ended up getting a NOS delphi box and it made all the difference in the world.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting read, and it all makes sense. They aren't terribly difficult to rebuild. I wonder if replacement parts are easily sourceable....