Refurbishing Sketchy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
I just went all Moog parts for the steering and got the ACDelco gearbox. Everything came from RockAuto. Unfortunately steering is still unsafe and terrible. Sketchy would be an understatement. $1500 down the drain and it still doesn't work. Porbably a defective gearbox, so, uh, don't buy the ACDelco one. Buy the cheaper aftermarket generic one. It can't be worse.

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All it takes is one pothole and you trash a tire that looks perfectly good.

Have ypu had an alignment yet? Did you look at a-arm bushimgs? Both can cause sketchy steering.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went all Moog parts for the steering and got the ACDelco gearbox. Everything came from RockAuto. Unfortunately steering is still unsafe and terrible. Sketchy would be an understatement. $1500 down the drain and it still doesn't work. Porbably a defective gearbox, so, uh, don't buy the ACDelco one. Buy the cheaper aftermarket generic one. It can't be worse.
Haha alright thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All it takes is one pothole and you trash a tire that looks perfectly good.

Have ypu had an alignment yet? Did you look at a-arm bushimgs? Both can cause sketchy steering.
Yeah I'm just going to go ahead and replace tie rods, ball joints, idler and pitman, and control arm bushings.
Hopefully that'll be good enough for now, but I will eventually replace the steering box.
I am going to get my tires rebalanced and rotated and see if that helps too, and get an alignment when all the new parts are on.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score

Does your Suburban have the steering wheel speed sensor? That little device can cause a lot of problems in the steering feel. If you have one and it goes out you will feel like your driving on ice. The sensor is located under the dash near the bottom of the steering shaft. Takes about 10 minutes or less to change out.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well I'm on my third reman box and they just suck! next box will be from Redhead.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what y'all are doing but I must have a double unicorn.... I replaced my box with a reman from oriellys about a year ago and have had NO issues with it... and... my truck still has all the original ball joints and tie rod ends... it's a 94 k150p with 180k on the clock....and have no issues or sketchy steering at all...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just was researching replacing the lower ball joint, and my manual just says to take the whole control arm to a machine shop to press it out and the new one in.
Can I just rent a regular ball joint press and do that?