Recover steering wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could probably find an upholstery shop that would be willing to do it if you looked hard enough, but it would have to be a good shop. @sewlow was working on one for a while, think he was on his 2nd or 3rd revision maybe? If he can't get it to suit him then I imagine it's certainly not easy to do, he is an upholstery genius.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos there df2x4. I don't know about genius, though. I figure I still have lots to learn.
For instance...this %#$@%!^@%#$@&@%#% steering wheel!
Yea, attempt #3 or 4. Last one was the best yet, but not quite right. Not what I would feel very good about putting a price tag on, or my name behind. (If that's worth anything! Lol!)
I've seen guys do them. In person & in vids.
But there's so much more to it than just the stitching. The patterning & the lay-out of the pieces plus the spacing & size of the punched holes are all factors. Those holes in the corners for the lacing looks like they line up, side-to-side, but the really don't! There's a lesser amount on the one side than the other. And the spacing's different for each..
The thickness & the stretch of the leather along with the shape of these 400 wheels with the finger grips, makes for a bit of a mind-f*ck. The leather has to be stretched soooo tight to get the leather to mold to that shape.
Things happen doing that. The lace breaks, the hole in the leather pulls out. Or, when trying to avoid all that, the leather ends up being not quite tight enough. Lessons I've learned! (So far!)
It's a bit of a work-out too, for these mitts that have been smashed, bashed, cut up, operated on & stitched back together a bunch o' different times over the years. I can go about an hour at a time with the stitching.
It definitely is an art. There's guys out there that that's all they do. Steering wheels.
And they make a living off of it. Mind you, they're doing a lot more than just stitching the leather on.
Now, when I see resto'd or custom steering wheels with prices of $500.00 & way beyond, I understand why!
But I'll get this yet. Just ain't got the time right now.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
To only watch the parts about the steering wheel, skip to 25:57 and afterwards to 29:46.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Alright so it's doable, it's just going to be an *******....

Good, I like doing things myself but I may just pay someone else to do this. Thanks for the info guys!

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Alright @sewlow here's a real question now, the steering wheel I want to use is the Kodiak Wheel, which is roughly 4 feet in diameter (an exaggeration but not by much), I wonder if I could cut the side supports short and weld in a smaller diameter wheel? Or is this just ridiculous?