Rebuild or wait and see???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98CHEVY-1500

Reaction score
ok guys my truck starts to rattle the ENTIRE dash when i get up in the D gear. if i put it in 3, it doesnt do it. a transmission shop said ill have to rebuild but im kinda wearly the guy was sketchy lookin. should i wait and see what happens to the tranny or rebuild. oh and he quoted me $1600 for the rebuild.

94bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take it to a different shop and have them check all of the tranny and engine mounts. Im not an expert by any means, but thats just what i would do. And that seems a little steep for a rebuild. I called every tranny shop in my area and the highest was $750. Best of luck to you

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
$750 for a FULL rebuild? That seems a little low to me. Hell, you can't even get a full rebuild kit for under $500. I've been looking in excess of 2G's for my build. Of course it's got upgraded everything, but $1,600 is not out of line at all. My advice is to take it to a couple different shops and get opinions. Tell them what's happening and if they're worth a damn they'll check it out thoroughly before giving you a price.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
I had a 700r4 and my 4l60e rebuilt here both for 500 each. But It was an under the table deal at our dealership :D

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow!! I'd be a rich dude if I could get 2 grand for a 4L60E rebuild. A fair price to pull it out, rebuild, 1 year warranty, with a beast sunshell, vette servo, and small shift kit should be around 1400-1600. The kit is less that $150 dollars. You can put everything in it bulletproof for 2000. This is the most common transmission out there, parts are easy to find and pretty cheap. I would shop around. We have about 6-7 shops within 30 miles of ours, so competition does keep the price down a little, but $2000.00 is too high. Heck last I checked you can get a GM Reman with a 3 year 30 thousand mile warranty for $1200. I did 4-4L60E's this week, all were under $1400 installed after tax.

The rattle in the dash is most likely the torque shuddering.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just got quoted 1K to rebuild an 03 4L80E with everything new, including kevlar clutch's and band's, and a new torque convertor. This is for the soon to be 408 LS motor.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
There must be more mechanics in the S/SE part of the US. I hear you guys from those areas say how cheap everything is. I'm from Illinois living in the SW (hate it) and I think it would be significantly cheaper back home. Of course, I know many people there and I don't know a damn person here. That hurts.