rear end swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's about $300 too high, go find a diy junkyard like www.pickapart.com in your area and find a rearend on a 1/2 price weekend, $100 drum to drum.

my tahoe has a factory 3.73 w/g80 rear, so they can't be all that hard to find.

300 to 500 is the norm around here so its not that far off

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's about $300 too high, go find a diy junkyard like www.pickapart.com in your area and find a rearend on a 1/2 price weekend, $100 drum to drum.

my tahoe has a factory 3.73 w/g80 rear, so they can't be all that hard to find.

I've only found a couple of 4x4 rear ends at pull a part and these vehicles have already been stripped so I have no clue of the gear ratio

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Easy enough swap, if you can find one woth 3.73s already swap out the complete axle if not grab the g80 carrier out of one swap out the ring gear with the one that is currently in your truck and put back together, if you dont mess with the pinion you dont have to reset the gears and your ring and pinion are already worn to the same groove

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother unless your are swapping to a 14bolt.

10bolt G80's aren't known for there great reliability....

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
$200.00 for a 10b posi (G80) around here.
'90's Impala's, especially the wagons, came with eaton style posi units. That's the one to have! And they fit the truck 10b housing. They are rebuildable, including the ability to adjust the pressure on the clutches via the different springs available.
Just make sure that the spline count is the same between the eaton & the axles. Look for the 'posi fluid only' tag on the housing, attached to one of the cover bolts. Those do go missing, though, so that's not always a reliable way to identify them. Checking the build sheet in the glove box is another way.
I wouldn't waste the time, energy & money to install a G80. They're called a gov-bomb for a reason!