Rear Brake Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccox

Reaction score
I have a 95 ECSB 4x4. I swapped in a rear axle from a suburban, which has slightly larger drums. All new drums, shoes, hardware and cylinder. My rear passenger shoes are not releasing properly and getting extremely hot when driving. I also don't have a lot of pressure in the lines. Seems like every time I bleed them, they get worse. When braking, if I give it a quick pump, it seems to brake normal. ABS light randomly goes on and off and will also randomly kick in for some reason. The codes thrown were front ABS sensors. I replaced the vacuum booster and went to change out the master cylinder but that made things much worse.

I took it to a shop and they said my parking brake cables were rusted and that's causing it but I never use my parking brake. Where should I start troubleshooting? I'm to the point where I'm going to get rid of this thing if I can't figure it out.

Please help!

ccox

Reaction score
Did you grease the shoes properly during install? That's where I would start.

I did. It looks like the wheel cylinder isn't releasing. The old one didn't so I replaced it with a new one, now this one isn't. It seems to be something with the pressure somewhere, but I don't know where to start looking upstream.

ccox

Reaction score
Did the shop do an ABS bleed?

I highly doubt they did. They were all around terrible. Tried to charge me $500 to replace the vacuum booster.

I just looked it up and that could definitely be it. I had installed/uninstalled the MC a couple of times and disconnected those brake lines a few times. I'll pursue this and let you know. Thanks for the help!