Rear 6x9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody

Reaction score
How much modification is required for Rear 6x9s in the 95+ interiors?
What's tools are required?

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the big questions is why. having a speaker like that behind you just messes up your soundstage. if you need sound in the rear go with 4" rounds in the stock location and shut them off when no ones back there.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
the big questions is why. having a speaker like that behind you just messes up your soundstage. if you need sound in the rear go with 4" rounds in the stock location and shut them off when no ones back there.

Oh, guys do it for a several reasons:

1. Make the truck "sound" louder.
2. Because the factory put some in there, they must know what they are doing, right?
3. it's in the home stereo setups the general masses see. More speakers = better, right?
4. They like it
5. They don't want the rear passengers able to have a conversation
6. Surround sound (i.e.:4.1, 5.1, etc)
7. Rear stage fill

All joking and sarcasm aside, number 7 is about the only valid reason in an automotive setting although I have built some 5.1 and 7.1 setups in vehicles that turned out pretty good.

Still, I'm not a fan of rear speakers, especially up in the b pillars like the gmt400 chassis. It takes a lot of processing to get it to sound right and very often just "muddies up" the whole thing.

When done right, it sounds like the small amount of reflected sound you get off objects at a concert (or surround sound in a x.1 setup). The problem is doing it effectively ($$$$$$$).

It's also very difficult to install drivers in the front of a 95+ gmt400 and not have the sound stage come out right about your waste height. The decerning audiophile can recognize it as low sound sound stage, the uninitiated can only tell they have to turn up the volume to get more spl to the ears because proper "aiming" is so difficult to achieve in low mounted drivers. Most just want it "loud" and don't understand "clean".

I usually divorce my tweeters (i have a preference for components vice coaxial) and delay them to raise the sound stage in applications where the front drivers are low mounted. I often drive around for weeks with tweeters hanging off places with duck tape and cardboad forms until i find the right combination between delay, hieght and aiming. Tweeters are very directional and you have to get them juuuuust right. Seperating the tweeters is tricky and hard to do properly, but when you do get it right it works wonderfully.

While rear speakers are not my ideal, they can be used to raise the sound stage a bit. But then you're back to muddy sound unless you process the living hell out of the signal.

The "perfect" setup has the driver sitting dead center stage, but perfect and automotive enviroment don't go together in a normal vehicle interior.

Throw in the fact that we're talking about truck cab interiors and SQ is nearly impossible to get right.

Ya just do the best ya can with what ya got ta work with.....

:)

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Oh, guys do it for a several reasons:

1. Make the truck "sound" louder.
2. Because the factory put some in there, they must know what they are doing, right?
3. it's in the home stereo setups the general masses see. More speakers = better, right?
4. They like it
5. They don't want the rear passengers able to have a conversation
6. Surround sound (i.e.:4.1, 5.1, etc)
7. Rear stage fill

All joking and sarcasm aside, number 7 is about the only valid reason in an automotive setting although I have built some 5.1 and 7.1 setups in vehicles that turned out pretty good.

Still, I'm not a fan of rear speakers, especially up in the b pillars like the gmt400 chassis. It takes a lot of processing to get it to sound right and very often just "muddies up" the whole thing.

When done right, it sounds like the small amount of reflected sound you get off objects at a concert (or surround sound in a x.1 setup). The problem is doing it effectively ($$$$$$$).

It's also very difficult to install drivers in the front of a 95+ gmt400 and not have the sound stage come out right about your waste height. The decerning audiophile can recognize it as low sound sound stage, the uninitiated can only tell they have to turn up the volume to get more spl to the ears because proper "aiming" is so difficult to achieve in low mounted drivers. Most just want it "loud" and don't understand "clean".

I usually divorce my tweeters (i have a preference for components vice coaxial) and delay them to raise the sound stage in applications where the front drivers are low mounted. I often drive around for weeks with tweeters hanging off places with duck tape and cardboad forms until i find the right combination between delay, hieght and aiming. Tweeters are very directional and you have to get them juuuuust right. Seperating the tweeters is tricky and hard to do properly, but when you do get it right it works wonderfully.

While rear speakers are not my ideal, they can be used to raise the sound stage a bit. But then you're back to muddy sound unless you process the living hell out of the signal.

The "perfect" setup has the driver sitting dead center stage, but perfect and automotive enviroment don't go together in a normal vehicle interior.

Throw in the fact that we're talking about truck cab interiors and SQ is nearly impossible to get right.

Ya just do the best ya can with what ya got ta work with.....

:)
Did you do a cleaner setup in your truck?