Reading ODBII through Iphone app

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to do this? What do I need? I have an app, but it says it needs the ELM327, and that item states it does not work on Iphones.

Let me know, thanks!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Look for an adapter that works with WiFi.I know nothing about iPhones.....they have WiFi don't they? What app are you using? Torque Pro is the most popular.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you have an IOS app that says it will work with an ELM327 adapter, then buy an ELM327. The reason you're finding the ELM327's are saying they are Android-only is that's because the CD of sketchy software (and likely virus straight from China) that comes with the adapter is made for Android.

I'll caution you on this though. Not all ELM327's are equal. I bought one of those cheapie transparent-blue miniELM327 that are so common, and while it works on my Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum, it would not read my LS1-swapped '97 Suburban, nor my '06 Silverado SS. Would not connect. I spent just a few bucks more and got a BAFX Products ELM327 and it works like a champ on the Mopars and the SS. Check ebay seller expeneon - that's the real BAFX, there seem to be clones of it out there and I wouldn't risk it.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I seem to remember something about the OLD iPhones not having the correct bluetooth stack to communicate with the ELM327 adapters, hence the need for a wifi solution like grampadirt mentioned. They're not very common, and somewhat expensive when compared to ELM327 bluetooth. In this day and age it would probably be cheaper and easier to just upgrade your phone.

Here's one of the old wifi adapters. This company makes really nice stuff by the way, I own one of their bluetooth Kiwi adapters and it is niiiiiice compared to my cheapo blue transparent glovebox units.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-p/897346002344.htm

mistaake

Reaction score
Just buy an Android tablet... I got a brand new LG 7" quad core Android tablet on eBay for $67 and a rugged case for it on Amazon for like $20. Perfect OBD2 diagnostics device.

If you want something to use for your iPhone this is the best solution:
http://www.obdlink.com/mxwf/

OBDLink MX WiFi is Apple/iOS compatible.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the 0411 swap and mine doesn't update MPGs anyone else have this issue?