Radio just went out. Lots of smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Bought my 91 Chevy k3500 eclb about 3 months ago. Only the driver rear speaker worked. This morning, on my way to work. I get a small pop out of said one speaker. Radio shuts off. And a good amount of smoke comes from under the dash. I've only completed a minor inspection. But nothing appears burnt. Wires or anything. Any help. Is this a common problem.
Thanks
Jon

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Factory radio? If so just upgrade to an aftermarket head unit and 4 new speakers. Truck should have 2 4x6's in the dash and 2 4x6's in the rear pillar.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Yes factory. I was going to get aftermarket. Just wondering if it was a problem with the radio. Or something I need to look deeper into.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds like you fragged the radio/amp remote part somehow.

The "dash piece" in a 91 is actually just a control head, the actual radio is up under the dash in the center.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
That's what I figured. I think I'm going to run all new wiring for radio and speakers. Just in case there was a short somewhere. Thanks for the help guys.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No real need to run all new wiring, unless you really want to.

The amplifiers (above the gas pedal) in these trucks are made with fairly low grade capacitors. I mean, granted, they lasted 20 years, so you really can't complain, but when they fail, usually they fail open, causing the radio to simply not work, or for one channel to stop working, etc. etc. Sometimes they short, either partially, or completely, and take out a bunch of stuff in the amplifier when they do.