Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 34" radiator from a 2007 Silverado that I want to use in my 89 c1500. Just not sure what all the connections are for or where they should go....

The oil cooler and the 2 large connections for the water are obvious but I got 2 smaller connections that I don't know for sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

This should be the schema for a 2007 Silverado with LS engine which I don't have, I've got a SBC zz4.

You must be registered for see images

The upper connection should it go to the recovery tank and the lower to the engine? Ok for the upper hose but what about the other since I don't have an LS engine, where should it go, what can I do with it?

I'm also in doubt with the heater hoses. The one coming from the manifold is a no brainer but where is the return going to? On the old radiator, I thought it was going to upper connection, not sure though. In the 2007 schema, could that be the smaller hose on #17?

I hope somebody can help me out....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you're gonna do for a pressure cap. Bringing over the new style bottle/pressure cap combo too?

Anyhow, unless I'm way off base -

The nipple up top is interchangeable with the other one off the water pump; some years of GMT400 took the heater core return straight into the tank, others sent it to the water pump. On trucks where it's hooked to the radiator you'd see a plug in the pump; trucks with it hooked to the pump would not have that nipple on the radiator unless it got replaced with a unit that had the nipple - and the new radiator would come with a rubber cap you could clamp onto it.

The smaller nipple...I'm guessing, not very experienced with LS's yet, but isn't that a "steam" line connection? Likely can be capped as well, just comes down to finding a rubber cap that can take the 16lb or so pressure of the system.

Richard

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be using an aluminum tank because I had to relocate the original one. Where the old tank was, are now the electronics for the EFI I'm building.

This is the new tank but not yet finished though. The back plate still has to be welded and another (or 2) nipple(s).

Don't mind the mess, still need to hook up most sensors and all the coils and cleanup the wires.

My water pump is plugged and as I thought, the heater core hose was hooked up to the radiator. I will do that with the new radiator as well and plug the steam line unless someone has another idea for that. So I only have to weld one nipple to the new tank. That will go the lower water hose with a tee fitting.